I would also like to support this request as a real Ubuntu Linux user.
I use ChatGPT regularly, and the recent evolution of the desktop experience makes the absence of an official Linux application increasingly noticeable.
My suggestion would be an official ChatGPT Desktop for Linux, ideally with the same core capabilities available on Windows and macOS, including:
- ChatGPT Work integration
- Codex integration
- Access to local files and documents with user permission
- Screenshot and on-screen contextual interaction
- Better desktop workflow integration
- Support for major Linux distributions, especially Ubuntu
The browser version works well on Linux, but it cannot completely replace the deeper operating-system integration that a native desktop application can provide.
Linux is widely used by developers, researchers, writers, educators, creators, technical professionals, and advanced users. Providing official Linux support could therefore benefit both existing ChatGPT users and the broader OpenAI ecosystem.
I would be very interested in seeing Linux included in the future ChatGPT desktop roadmap.
Thank you for considering it.
Sérgio B. Galvão
Ubuntu Linux user — Brazil
Hey OpenAI team,I really enjoy using ChatGPT and the new Codex features, and the desktop apps for macOS and Windows are excellent. However, there’s still no official ChatGPT/Codex desktop app for Linux.A large number of developers, power users, and AI enthusiasts run Linux as their primary OS. Having a native desktop client (with the same features, local integration, system tray support, etc.) would be hugely appreciated and would show that OpenAI takes the Linux community seriously.Please consider releasing an official ChatGPT/Codex desktop app for Linux. It would be a big win for accessibility and developer experience.Thanks!
Using caelestia on catchy on arch and I do a ton of software dev and game dev and your app is a constant part of my life. Please make a native linux distro because its privacy options and security is so much better than windows or mac which I have machines that run them but literally only because of your app. PAAALEASE SAM MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Please make an official ChatGPT desktop app for Ubuntu (Linux). Please!
I completely agree with this. I use ChatGPT a ton on Linux, especially for troubleshooting package manager issues, figuring out commands, and quickly translating instructions between different distributions.
A common example for me is finding the Fedora/DNF equivalent of packages or commands written for Debian/Ubuntu and APT. Having ChatGPT available as a proper Linux desktop app would fit really naturally into that kind of workflow, especially when you’re constantly switching between a terminal and ChatGPT.
An official Linux app would be very welcome, and ideally it would be distributed as something like a Flatpak so it works well across different distributions.
Ok we will build it.. would have been nice!!!
Good news — the official ChatGPT desktop app is now in public preview for Linux! It supports Ubuntu 24.04/26.04, Debian 13, and Fedora 43/44. Update: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/6825453. Install guide: https://learn.chatgpt.com/docs/linux/linux-app. Some features, including control of other desktop apps, aren’t supported in the preview yet.