Regarding Plugins Useful for Math

What are the most useful plugins for mathematicians, or just what plugins do fellow mathematicians on this forum use?
Are there any that are helpful for proof?

The most likely would be Wolfram but that’s really for computation. I’ve not seen any discussion even of linking an LLM to any kind of proof engine.

What do you mean by the proof engine? Can you elaborate?

Wolfram alpha is a website that has been around for years and is purpose built for math. It’s actually amazing. It can probably do almost anything you throw at it without even using GPT. But using chatGPT with it might make it easier to input problems in the right format.

1 Like

I agree with @ThioJoe here.

Wolfram alpha has been around for a long time, I’ve been using it for the past ~10 years, it can do almost anything. You can use Matlab or mathematica for calculations that are too big for wolfram.

Both Wolfram (and GPT) also fails on reasoning tasks like “provide the first 3 non-zero elements of the linear expansion” and most statistical thermodynamics problems that require the use of approximations to solve.

Proving a mathematical equation is a creative process that requires a lot of thinking, there +370 Pythagorean Theorem proofs, and new ones are still getting made.

An application which performs automated theorem proving.

1 Like

Maybe.
I know of one that is not a plugin but is using the GPT-4 API and was created a few weeks ago.
Can you be more specific about what you seek and what your background is related to Math?
If you have found similar related items can you note them, no sense it giving you something you already know.

Can you refer to the link? IMO, it may take a while for AI to prove math problems, even simple ones.

BTW, this is fun to read: Reddit - Dive into anything

I would prefer not to give the reference without knowing if you are serious about doing proofs. Could you please provide answers to the previous questions?

• Can you be more specific about what you seek and what your background is related to Math?
  • If you have found similar related items can you note them, no sense it giving you something you already know.

Here is a project related to proofs I worked on many years ago,

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jrh13/atp/

• An F# version of the book code is now available! Thanks to Eric Taucher, Jack Pappas and Anh-Dung Phan.

Notice the names and my id here.

1 Like

Thanks! I find your project interesting. I use maths mainly to develop formal economic models, e.g., game theory and information/mechanism design, and derive insights from these models.