I think GPT is assuming that you are the one who is creating the API endpoint yourself. And to be honest, I wouldn’t see how people wouldn’t need to develop their own custom API endpoint, if you aren’t representative of a larger company. That’s doesn’t mean impossible, but it would still be extremely difficult.
The reason why is that you can’t perform logic or execute code in the API calls themselves. It’s more like GPT yelling at another computer to do that for it so it can give back a natural language answer to the user.
If you are building your own API endpoints to any degree, even if to manage other public APIs from other companies, congratulations. You have a potential new product, and you get to be a part of us who are also trying to innovate the space and platform.
It might be annoying, and you might not have realized what you did if you did build your own API endpoint, but this is a good problem to have.
It’s not possible to share GPTs that don’t have a privacy URL, which is where my query comes from…
There are a lot of public OpenAPI endpoints. See apis(dot)guru for instance. There are over 2500 APIs that you can call.
I’ll see what Chatgpt thinks about that puzzle indeed
If you’re at this stage already, you should feel really good about where you’re standing for the future. Seriously. I’m not gonna tell you what to do, but consider how you might be able to leverage multiple public APIs. There’s a lot of potential here, and this is why tool usage capabilities for custom GPTs is such a big deal.
custom GPTs are essentially better plugins, which in of themselves are freeware products. You are not just the hand that passes a message along, you are the messenger between two endpoints yourself.
I’m excited to see what you build. Please share it when it’s working!
Also, forewarning you might need to, considering tool usage and action development in GPT builder is…buggy at best.
Thanks for your reply Macha!
Thought I’d share the response I just got from Chatgpt about this:
(this i first GPT I cooked up with a public API chat(dot)openai(dot)com/g/g-LzdxH31Wm-magic-design-shopper. Unfortunately I can’t update it any more, so will need to duplicate I think )
Compliance and User Consent:
Level: Basic / General
Use Case: General ChatGPT Assistant usage with secure, non-user-related ‘API-specific’ data / configurations located within cloud.
Last Updated: [Insert Date]
What We Collect:
- We collect information necessary to provide our services, such as queries and interaction data with our ChatGPT assistant.
- We do not collect personal identification information unless voluntarily provided by you for specific services.
How We Collect:
- Information is collected through your interaction with our services and voluntary disclosures.
- The information collected is solely used for providing and improving our services.
- We do not use your data for profiling or targeted advertising.
- [Company/Product Name] does not share any user information with third parties.
- We do not disclose user information publicly or to any external entities, except as required by law.
- [Company/Product Name] does not hold any data persistently. All data is deleted immediately after the interaction or service provision.
- Users can request the deletion of any data they have voluntarily provided.
- We employ robust security measures to protect data from unauthorized access and misuse.
- Despite our efforts, no digital platform can guarantee absolute security.
- Users have the right to access and control any personal information provided to us.
- Requests for access, correction, or deletion of personal data can be made through our contact channels.
- If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please contact us at [Provide Contact Information].