PLC programming

hello, i’m a PLC automation programmer, i am curious on how to use AI to program a PLC if i give it access to my hardware, For example i already have at home an automated irrigation system linked via wifi…,can i ask him to enable the water pump for me? I do this by accessing dedicated remote software and clicking on the required button on the touch screen or can be a hardware digital input directly into the PLC.
i asked the AI about PLCs and has some general knowledge of Siemens, Allan Bradley, Omron, etc etc…i want to try to connect it to PLCs and let it try to make programs that would basically let AI control the irrigation or electric rolls over the windows, etc etc…is it possible?

2 Likes

I think AI could improve it but AI can’t program a PLC perfectly. New learner might find it difficult to learn except pro.

1 Like

Hi, a.iacobini.

Thanks for creating this post. It’s really important for me because i’m on industrial automation too.

From my point of view. PLC programming can be complex, as it requires specific knowledge of industrial control logic and corresponding standards, such as IEC 61131-3. For artificial intelligence like ZAP or others, generating codes or programs for PLCs is not complicated as long as the specifications are clearly understood and there is access to the appropriate syntax and semantics of the programming language used, such as Ladder Logic, Structured Text, Instruction List, etc.

Furthermore, the integration of AI systems with PLCs is advancing, allowing applications such as predictive maintenance and process optimization. However, direct programming of PLCs by AI in a practical sense still involves a significant amount of human input and supervision to ensure safety, reliability, and compliance with industrial standards.

This inputs could be described here in the following PLC programming languages matriz i’ve prepared in a .pdf document and converted into a .jpeg image that I attached:

This comparative table outlines what is needed to program and assist users effectively in different PLC programming languages by AI. The requirements vary based on the language’s complexity, the user’s skill level, and the specifics of the application. I think AI can adapt to these varying needs, providing guidance that is most relevant for each programming language and application scenario.