Not able to access GPT-4 via API

When I fetch the list of models, it doesn’t return gpt-4:

$ curl https://api.openai.com/v1/models \
  -H "Authorization: Bearer $OPENAI_API_KEY" \
  -H "OpenAI-Organization: org-ksdf90342kdf90" | grep gpt
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
 33 35756   33 11999    0     0  16401      0  0:00:02 --:--:--  0:00:02 16392      "id": "gpt-3.5-turbo-0613",
      "root": "gpt-3.5-turbo-0613",
      "id": "gpt-3.5-turbo-16k-0613",
      "root": "gpt-3.5-turbo-16k-0613",
      "id": "gpt-3.5-turbo",
      "root": "gpt-3.5-turbo",
      "id": "gpt-3.5-turbo-16k",
      "root": "gpt-3.5-turbo-16k",
      "id": "gpt-3.5-turbo-0301",
      "root": "gpt-3.5-turbo-0301",
100 35756  100 35756    0     0  48477      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 48449

And I’m unable to use gpt-4:

$ curl https://api.openai.com/v1/chat/completions \
  -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
  -H "Authorization: Bearer $OPENAI_API_KEY" \
  -d '{
     "model": "gpt-4",
     "messages": [{"role": "user", "content": "Say this is a test!"}],
     "temperature": 0.7
   }'
{
    "error": {
        "message": "The model: `gpt-4` does not exist",
        "type": "invalid_request_error",
        "param": null,
        "code": "model_not_found"
    }
}

This press release suggests that I should be able to access GPT-4 via API. GPT-4 API general availability and deprecation of older models in the Completions API

Hi @nilus. Welcome to the forum. Can you just check first whether you do have access to the gpt-4 API ?. You could do this via the OpenAI playground.

I don’t see GPT-4 there either. What exactly does “GPT-4 API general availability” mean?

It just means they’ve given access to more people on the waitlist. It is still a waitlist-based access system, so unless you have access, you will not be able to use it.

From GPT-4 API general availability and deprecation of older models in the Completions API

Today all existing API developers with a history of successful payments can access the GPT-4 API with 8K context. We plan to open up access to new developers by the end of this month

So if you have made a payment to the API for usage you will get it right away, if not you will have it by the end of the month.

1 Like

There are a bunch of $0 payment in my billing tab apparently because my personal usage didn’t reach a dollar. I did buy chatgpt plus. Does that not count?

Just a fair warning to everyone, the page this link goes to is very bright green. If you are in a low light environment, adjust your eyes first xD.

2 Likes

No, they tend not to mix anything between the chatgpt and api. API is more for developers and the chatgpt is more for consumers. Game companies do this too. They’ll give feature and beta test access to the players who seem to know what they are doing first. Usage of the API is a way to track that.

1 Like

i’m a paid user in platform.openai.com and have used gpt-3.5-turbo for a while. but i dont have access to gpt4. why?

2 Likes

My apologies for the unintended flashbang nade.

1 Like

i have payment 130$,but i dont have access to gpt too.

Welcome to the forum!

You should gain access by the end of the month.

Today is July 30th. I do not expect openai to deliver, because they have broken every promise in the last months. Will move on to alternatives.

1. Today is July 29 in the United States—where OpenAI is located.
  2. July has 31 days.
  3. You’re free to do whatever you want.
1 Like

Good Bye. It’s been nice getting to know you.

As anticipated, OpenAI has failed to provide GPT4 API access to all developers on August 1st , even in Honolulu time. To make matters worse, they have gone silent in their communication, and for those fortunate enough to have had GPT-4 access before, the quality of the model has been severely diminished. People call it ‘lobodomized’.
The API still points to a non-existing waiting list

Model gpt-4 not available for provided API key. Reverting to gpt-3.5-turbo. Sign up for the GPT-4 wait list here: https://openai.com/waitlist/gpt-4-api

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Updates to accounts at this scale are typically rolled out, and the rollout is monitored for issues. Rollouts can, and do, occur in batches, where one batch is rolled out over several hours to a day, and the resulting system load and system stability is monitored; then the next batch.

There are millions of developers, and a limited number of people performing the rollouts. I understand it’s frustrating, and these kinds of issues with new products and large-scale deployments are common. Please be patient.

4 Likes

Since July 2022, I’ve been an OpenAI customer, investing heavily in API fees for development. In December, we upgraded to the GPT4 API, but in June, without warning, we lost our Org, team, keys, and billing history. Attempts to re-setup and communicate went unanswered, leaving us without GPT4 access. Beware investing in technology beyond your control.

1 Like