No access to gpt-4 model despite paying for OpenAI API

Hi everyone,

I subscribed to the OpenAI API in mid of May 2023 and I was hoping to try out the gpt-4 model. Does anyone know how to get access to it? I thought they said that anyone who paid for the subscription would get access, but I haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Madhu

2 Likes

All developers should have access by end of the month according to announcement, hang in there.

5 Likes

One doesn’t “subscribe” to use the API. A $20/month subscription fee is what you pay to use “ChatGPT plus”.

The qualifying characteristic for the previous group of accounts that were given access were those developers who know how to add a payment method to the API system and had incurred a billing for their pay-per-use in that completely separate accounting system.

That particular one-time qualifying criteria has already been decided and applied to accounts.

1 Like

It appears that there may have been a misunderstanding regarding my question about the “OpenAI API.” When I referred to the API, I meant the actual API itself, not the about “ChatGPT plus.”
My use of the word “subscribe” may have caused confusion. Perhaps the term “billing” would have been more appropriate in that context.

I understand now. If you think you should have qualified by seeing past charges on your credit card, the only remediation action you can take is to try to create and use a new API key, as the prior keys might not have been automatically updated.

Then see that “gpt-3.5-turbo” works for you in your chat completion endpoint application with replacement key (which in a server environment with key stored as an environment variable, changing may take some restarting of various components), and then switch to “gpt-4”.

“Subscriptions” means things keep coming to you automatically. For example, when you use the streaming method of receiving one word at a time from OpenAI models as they are produced, you are “subscribing” to a server-sent event, that keeps sending you token packets after your initial API submission.

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4

Did you have a payment of at least 1$?

Yes, paid $6 in Jun and $26 in Jul. Billing history is also shown.

1 Like

Thanks for detailed information. I am checking using playground (OpenAI Platform), hope we need to see in this too.

Did you pay in june or did you actually pay the invoice of june e.g. later in july?

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this point to our attention.

I would like to clarify that our billing team processed the June invoice in July, and this payment was made after the announcement.

I want to express my gratitude to the incredible OpenAI community. Your support and assistance, even though the issue was on our end, has been truly commendable.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to assist us. We truly appreciate it.

1 Like

Now I have a better understanding of both billing processes.

For ChatGPT, the billing and debit occur automatically on a monthly basis.
However, for the OpenAI API, we need to pay the bill based on the due amount.

Thank you for your valuable time.

Same problem… srill waiting access API GTP 4.0 + :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Thanks everyone, got access to Gpt-4 today. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats hopefully we can be like you soon as talking to 3.5 is basically useless for me as a dev atm.

Dear all,

I can see on my account that I have used more than 3$ in August but I have no invoice at the moment and then cannot have access to gpt-4 model.
I am on a “Pay as you go” formula.

Any clue on when I can receive the invoice and then have access to gpt-4 model ?

1 Like

Welcome to the developer forum!,

The support forum has no way to alter or investigate accounts, one method that has worked is to create a new account (do NOT get rid of this one, just make a new one) and then load it with $5 of credit, that account will then have GPT-4 access.

I don’t know when existing account will gain GPT-4 access, hopefully soon, you can also use the OpenAI Help Centre in the bottom right corner is a message icon. image click the icon and enter your issue, the bot will take your details and a member of the account support team will get back to you, it may take several weeks due to the number of people currently using the system.

1 Like