New download version on Mac not working?

So I just saw that there was a download option but when I did try it and downloaded it, it wasn’t working? After moving it to applications on my MacBook Air it pops up saying this app is not supported on Mac???

The ChatGPT application is only supported on MacOS 14+ computers with an Apple Silicon chip so M1, M2, M3, and M4.

1 Like

That’s BS, I am using a 2020 Mac and your new app not even support? I want my money back!

2 Likes

I agree - my custom Mac Mini is specced super high - very unlikely to be less than an app like this would require.

1 Like

Can you explain WHY!!! I have a 4 year old very expensive Macbook PRO, which is capable to run far more complicated apps than a WEB-based chat window… :woozy_face: :dizzy_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :exploding_head:

1 Like

I agree this does not make sense. I have MacOS 14.4 and Intel core I7, with lots of memory.
Why is there such a limitation.?

2 Likes

It uses features and libraries exclusive to Apple Silicon devices. @kov.benc @rmasoor @AdrianXYJ.

1 Like

Guys, its built upon a different architecture. I doest matter if your intel mac has a lot of memory.

Just because apple doesn’t stop supporting their old devices for many years, doesn’t mean third party developers have to develop new software for this products wich are phasing out.

1 Like

That isn’t really a good reason. Build different binaries for different operating systems and CPU architectures. Intel macbooks are not that old, and despite what might go in your little bubble the entire world doesn’t just throw away their devices every year for a new one.

1 Like

I completely agree. I personally have a four-year-old M1 Mini and a maxed-out Intel laptop, which don’t need to be replaced any time soon. However, the issue is that the Silicon chips are much more powerful and can do certain things way better than Intel chips. As a developer, you have to pick what you want to prioritize, cross-compatibility, or reliability/smoothness.

I know I ain’t a developer but if you said you guys could choose is it possible to have a version that the rest of us could also use? Personally I wouldn’t mind if it’s not as smooth as long as it works?

Just a idea and personal opinion lol

Considering this application doesn’t run the LLM locally, this is a non issue. You can have your cake and eat it too. Intel macbooks are not 90’s computers. I am a software development for a company that deals with scientific simulations that do run locally with high performance across a wide range of hardware and operating systems, including ARM/Intel/AMD CPUs.

I know how tricky Apple’s OS can be to work with at an API level, especially given the amount of features they cut overtime that exist in other posix based systems. Given the statement that a Windows version is coming, you’re either already dealing with or will soon be dealing with maintaining code for multiple operating systems. This is no different than maintaining an intel and arm version.

Advertise that your application only works on ARM MacOS laptops. Work towards backwards compatibility. Use your own AI to explain it to you, it isn’t rocket science.

1 Like

please update your macOS app to operate also with i9 or other Intel Chips! Thanks

1 Like

Given that the ARM version is extremely buggy and unusable for many users, focusing on maintaining both ARM and x86 versions now diverts unnecessary resources from the development process.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.