My GPT is copycated with the same icon and description

Today, I found that my gpt was copycated weeks ago, the account’s name is 9.tapgpts.com. It seems this guy is copycatting hundreds of GPT from others. If OpenAI doesn’t do anything, the market will be flooded with accounts like this. I think each GPT name should be forced to match the same domain name, which will be very effective in combating this type of piracy.

1 Like

The guy submit too many GPTs to my GPTsHunter.com. I have received complains about copying others. I’m about to block that account’s all GPTs.

1 Like

Why didn’t OpenAI take precautions in advance? Please at least learn from Apple’s experience in this area. Is it because OpenAI has never paid serious attention to intellectual property?

What, exactly, is this intellectual property you think you have?

I want to correct my wording about ip. But even if it takes very little effort to create GPT, it does not mean that it can be copied and published with the same name, icon and description by others without any system validation.

2 Likes

They stole mine as well and theirs is showing in Google searches instead mine. What can we do?

The point is not the intellectual property of any semblance thereof. The point is that OpenAI wants individuals and companies to spend their time creating GPTs, to the point that they’ve set up profit sharing revenue. However, as someone who consults companies on AI efforts, how exactly am I supposed to recommend anyone spend anytime creating public GPTs if the work one spends training and codifying them can just get easily duplicated?A test one I did that I only made public – didn’t share with any list sites or anything – has multiple copies out there now. No one is going to want to spend time building public GPTs if they can be simply be ripped off. It also brings up whether the non-public ones can be easily ripped and shared the same way.

1 Like

If your custom GPT is just some prompting and possibly some file uploads for RAG, then you have no moat.

Your custom GPT could be effectively copied even without someone having access to your prompts or files.

The only way to add unique real value to a custom GPT is through actions which can’t readily be copied at no cost.

It happened with my ChatGPT plugins multiple times. Someone used the same naming as I did. I have a pending trademark. I contacted OpenAI asking to take down the plugins and block the author. I proceeded all the evidence and the trademark. In a few weeks OpenAI replied saying they’re refusing to take any action.

Yeah so unfortunately what you’re experiencing is a company basically needing to push something out and releasing a product that was in late alpha, because of the lack of security in their system, everyone has figured out how to copycat everyone else by creating prompts that spill the beans of your entire prompt, so anyone can get your prompt, anyone can get your image.

This just wasn’t really that ready to hit market, and they went through with it anyway.

Your best bet is to create your ideas internally, keep all of them private, and when you think you have something good wait until you hear news that guardrails have been added. Otherwise any of your IP is up for grabs.

Just the way it is right now.

A pending trademark is not a trademark so I’m not surprised no action was taken.

What about browser extensions?
I can go to the Chrome Web store, install an app and then copy and paste the files that make the extension run. Since inception of the Web Store.

This is a main characteristic of the digital economy. Things can be copy-pasted and re-deployed. But this does not have to be the end of a marketplace. Browser extensions are considerable in market size, copycats can be found, but still it may be a great way to acquire new customers and get some earnings going.

This is partially a discussion about expectations vs. reality, in my opinion.

1 Like