Music model for ChatGPT+ that allows for MIDI

As a songwriter and classical composer, I envision a specialized model intricately designed for the complexities of musical composition and enhancement. This model would have the ability to transform a simple MIDI file, perhaps containing only a melody, into a composition rich in harmony. While the classical piano serves as an initial example, the model’s scope would extend far beyond this single instrument. It would be versatile enough to accommodate a wide range of instruments and musical styles, from classical to contemporary.

One of the model’s standout features would be its ability to utilize advanced chords, techniques, and even virtuosic elements like chromatic scales. The model could emulate the styles of specific composers upon request, making it capable of generating pieces with virtuosic flair. Additionally, it could employ modulation, shifting the tonal center of a piece to add emotional depth and complexity. It would also have the flexibility to generate music in specific forms when prompted, such as a waltz, sonata, etude, or polonaise, making it a tool that is both versatile and specialized for composers and musicians.

Another focal point would be the model’s commitment to creating compositions with clear starting and ending points. The goal is not just technical accuracy but also creative excellence; it aims to enhance melodies and incorporate intricate and sometimes virtuosic musical techniques to imbue each piece with emotional resonance.

Further setting this model apart is its ability to produce realistic, humanized audio files. Upon request, it could generate an audio file featuring a specific instrument, or even transform a melody from a MIDI file, paired with a set of lyrics, into vocal-audio in either male or female voices. The resulting audio would be of such crisp quality that it mimics the expressiveness and nuance of a live performance. All in all, this envisioned model aims to be a comprehensive, multi-faceted tool for musicians, seamlessly blending technical expertise with creative innovation.

Since MuseNet is down, the development and implementation of such a specialized model would be particularly timely and beneficial for the music community.

Yes, I used ChatGPT to help me write this in a better way as it can write better than I ever will

I hope this is something that can be considered!
~ Lexi

i would honestly love this too, i have been asking ChatGPT about an AI music system that makes MIDIs just today, as i find the current ai music synthesis in which it tries to render the entire audio far from meeting the mark for anything.

i decided to reply to this thread instead of making another so people could see more than one person wants this. This is the method i suggested to ChatGPT, and ChatGPT cleaned it up quite a bit:

1. AI Input Parameters: Users would provide input parameters such as genre, tempo, key, length, and potential instrument ideas. This information would guide the AI in creating compositions tailored to the specified criteria.
  2. AI Composition Process: The AI would use machine learning algorithms to analyze patterns and structures within the given genre and generate musical sequences accordingly. It would also incorporate variations in tempo, dynamics, and instrumentation based on the input parameters.
  3. General MIDI Output: The generated compositions would be outputted as General MIDI files, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of MIDI-capable devices and software. This allows users to playback the compositions using synthesizers, DAWs, or any other MIDI-compatible platform.
  4. User Feedback Loop: Users could provide feedback on the generated compositions, helping the AI to learn and improve its composition skills over time. This feedback loop would facilitate continuous refinement and enhancement of the AI’s capabilities.

By embracing the General MIDI standard, both human users and AI systems can benefit from a more extensive sonic palette and increased creative possibilities. It allows for seamless integration of AI-generated compositions into existing music production workflows and provides users with greater flexibility in exploring and customizing the generated content.

While there may be challenges in implementing such a system, including the development of sophisticated AI algorithms and ensuring the quality and coherence of generated compositions, the potential benefits are substantial. It could revolutionize the way music is composed, allowing for greater collaboration between humans and AI and opening up new avenues for creativity and exploration in music production.

We had some success with my company Musio doing this. I had GPT4 create midi that would then trigger the virtual instruments of Musio.

Worked quite well - but of course the music creators were split on it!