LitRPG AI Dungeon Roguelike Powered by GPT-4 + DALLE3

NPC chat coming along… + bugs… all the bugs…

1 Like

Pulling AI generated mobs (monsters) into the game now… no auto-art yet, though…

I’ve got an idea for NPC chat too. Instead of just having Ooh look I can chat, it will be based on stats. Low charisma / level / reputation? You can only enter so many words and only get so many responses.

Instead of every NPC with a “!” above their head having to give the player a quest, it’s based on the interaction with the NPC. If the NPC AI grades it as hostile or nice, it may give the quest OR stop talking and attack! I think having an NPC that can give out a random proc-gen quest or not could be unique?

More soon!

1 Like

Seems this person is a bit ahead of me… good watch!

2 Likes

I’m pre-generating some of the content, but GPT-4 is still useful… getting some dungeon art too…

Now, though, I’ve got > 100 dungeon “seeds” that I can pull to help better populate the rooms and keep them coherent…

Still a lot to do, but making progress!

For my NPC, I’m going to make it different than you can just chat with it for world info.

The NPC might have a quest to give. If the player is rude or doesn’t approach it right via conversation, the NPC might refuse to hand out the quest. Or, if the player persists, the NPC might stop talking and attack…

I’m still working out the details of the quest system, but it should be very doable. Between that and the dynamic NPCs, we should have something really interesting going on within the game…

Back to the LitRPG Adventures workshop… more soon!

1 Like

Just means you’re on the right track.
Great updates, as always.

1 Like

Thanks. Should have a MVP live in another week or so? We shall see…

130 mobs for first level to start and 144 dungeon seeds to base the rooms off of… just need to get room objects hooked up right instead of dropping “pillars” or generic “obstacles” everywhere lol

Eventually it’ll be nice to do the dungeon seeds and monsters on the fly, but don’t want someone hitting refresh until they get a dungeon they like heh

1 Like

@RonaldGRuckus … GPT-4 knows about us now. It’s over lol

It kinda liked the idea of a LitRPG-themed roguelike, though? haha…

The game you’re referring to, “Letter Hunter: A Roguelike LitRPG Adventure”, appears to be an intriguing blend of literature and gaming. It’s a LitRPG-themed video game, which is a fascinating concept because LitRPG is a literary genre that combines literature with elements typical of RPG video games.

This game is designed by Paul Bellow with the help of GPT-4 and DALLE-2 AI models. From the information available, the game features “letter monsters” that players can battle. After defeating these monsters, players can use the letters they drop to craft "Word Spells"​1​.

GPT-4 has also been used to code the roguelike, and it provides room descriptions, which are then passed to DALLE-2 for creating room details​2​​3​. The AI attempts to generate room text descriptions that match what the dungeon shows, and this includes rooms of various shapes and sizes, as well as adding elements like pillars and obstacles​4​​5​​6​​7​.

It’s worth mentioning that the integration of AI in this game development process seems to be an ongoing endeavor, with the developer thinking about implementing AI-created pre-fab rooms for special encounters or boss rooms​8​.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t retrieve the specific content of the YouTube video you mentioned due to limitations of my current capabilities. However, the link to the video is:​. You might find additional insights and information about the game there.

It’s fascinating to see the creative ways in which AI is being integrated into game development, and this particular game seems to be a prime example of that.

2 Likes

Dev log update…

Trying to think about UI / UX early… As there could be hundreds or literally THOUSANDS (?) of monsters, I’m trying to make it easy to get around. If you encounter a new monster generated by GPT-4, it’s logged in your Bestiary. Each monster has it’s own accordion item, and you can text search to filter for what you want to see…

I just used DALLE2 to make fireball sprites for the game… They don’t look great, but I thought it was cool…

Only had 2 frames in the first one… I didn’t cut all the white space either, so it looks funky, but kinda usable!

1 Like

Images for 130 mobs (monsters) completed and added to the game… not sure how I want to display them on hover yet…

1 Like

What if you could play an RPG (roguelike) then press a button and have a LitRPG novel emailed to you about your LitRPG Adventures… sound cool?

1 Like

Since it’s LitRPG themed, I want the player to be OP from the beginning.

So, a magic sword that you can chat with after battles? I could feed ChatGPT game info and player could discuss strategy with their weapon between battles…

hrm… i gotta make this happen…

1 Like

This could turn into an interesting game play mechanic… Do you drop the +3 Vorpal Sword because it has a bad attitude and drives you nuts with questions?

As it’s LitRPG themed, I think I’m going to make the player “OP” (overpowered) and give everyone a talking magic sword at the beginning of the game. Could be a hook??

Updates on the talking sword idea…

Nice. I’d like to make it so that the sword has three emotional levels with player… 1) happy 2) neutral 3) upset… if the sword is neutral or upset, it might make the +4 go away?

New long dev log update… I’ve added an audiobook inside the game… narrated by AI, of course…

1 Like

After you play my roguelike, you can turn your LitRPG adventure into narrative form…

I’m keeping a log of everything that happens in the game then feeding it to GPT-4 to generate a narrative. Still very early days, but it looks promising to take LitRPG to the next level…

Subterranean Gardens of the Verdant Exile

Alex awoke with a start, disoriented and puzzled by the Subterranean Gardens of the Verdant Exile. Enveloped by the vibrant flora, he tried to recollect his past events, but his memory remained clouded. Piquing his curiosity, he began his exploration, trusting his instincts and relying on the lessons engraved within him from the preceding chapters of the LitRPG saga.

Within moments, he discovered a Potion of Spirits and a Healing Potion, neatly placed beside a copy of LitRPG Audiobook Chapter 6 and a clump of Wizard Weed. As he gathered these valuable items, Alex felt a deep connection to the celebrated heroes that walked before him in similar tales.

Moving carefully into the Library of Lost Souls, the staggering enormity of the chamber was mesmerizing. As Alex’s eyes darted through the dust-covered shelves, he imagined each tome resonating with forgotten knowledge, waiting to be rediscovered. He marveled at the esoteric symbols adorning the books, chills creeping up his spine as an unseen voice echoed through the infinite, engulfing darkness.

Character Stats:

Name: Alex

Class: Wordweaver

HP: 20/20 MP: 10/10

ATK: 10 DEF: 5

LVL: 1 XP: 0

STR: 9 INT: 4

WIS: 4 DEX: 4

CON: 4 CHA: 4

As he journeyed through increasingly enigmatic rooms, Alex’s keen intellect and dexterity allowed him to navigate and overcome the ominous environments that attempted to curtail his progress. The singing voices in the Feywild Garden—a mournful testament to generations of lost souls—both haunted and inspired him. He allowed himself a moment to pause and reflect on the intangible beauty of the scene.

Subsequently, he cautiously entered the lair of a long-ago vanquished lich. As the dank, foreboding stench of decay permeated Alex’s senses, he felt a relentless, ethereal gaze on him. A sense of unease accompanied his every step, but the tales of prior adventurers emboldened him to continue.

Character Stats (Updated):

HP: 10/20 MP: 10/10

ATK: 12 DEF: 6

LVL: 2 XP: 200

STR: 10 INT: 4

WIS: 4 DEX: 5

CON: 4 CHA: 4

His triumphant victories against formidable foes—Gloom Gakis and Luminescent Lurkers alike—proved both his mettle and his gritty determination, advancing him to Level 2. With each subsequent encounter, Alex continued to strengthen his abilities and adapt to the ever-changing challenges that faced him.

Despite the foreboding atmosphere of the chambers, filled with whispers, scratching noises, and ethereal echoes, Alex refused to give in to fear. In the treasure chamber, he thought carefully before reaping the rewards, mindful of the luring dangers. The richness of the world he traversed unfolded before him, his heart brimming with the boundless potential that awaited.

Character Stats (Final):

HP: 1/20 MP: 10/10

ATK: 14 DEF: 7

LVL: 3 XP: 500

STR: 11 INT: 5

WIS: 5 DEX: 6

CON: 5 CHA: 5

Adorned with the experiences of countless adventurers who undertook similar tales, Alex faced the final challenge with a pounding heart. Mustering up every ounce of courage, he chose to approach the powerful wizard in the sanctum with humbleness instead of hostility.

As he stepped back into the sunlit world above, the tales of his daring exploits would forevermore be woven into the annals of LitRPG history. And though his hands were now empty and his HP dwindled to a mere sliver, Alex emerged from the depths of the Subterranean Gardens not defeated, but renewed. He had forged his own legend, and the saga continued. ---- Above generated from game logs… ROOM 3 (Big, Strange, Wizard’s Sanctum)

You step into a large, irregularly-shaped room that seems to be the sanctum of a powerful wizard. The walls are strange, with oddly-shaped angles and jutting out corners that seem almost like they were constructed by magic rather than by normal means. It’s dark in here, the only light coming from flickering torches mounted on the walls. As you enter, you hear the sounds of singing coming from somewhere deep within the room, and you can’t help but be a little frightened by the strange noises that seem to be emanating from all around you. As your eyes adjust to the dim light, you notice a fancy painting hanging on one wall, depicting a group of adventurers facing off against a powerful dragon. The painting seems to shimmer and move slightly, as if it’s almost alive. You can’t help but wonder if it’s enchanted in some way. Suddenly, the singing stops and you hear a deep, menacing voice coming from somewhere in the room. “Who dares to enter my sanctum?” the voice booms. “Identify yourselves, or face the consequences!” You can feel your heart racing as you try to come up with a response. What will you say to this powerful wizard?

Player SCRATCHES the Gloom Gaki

-2 Health for Gloom Gaki

(Gloom Gaki has 17 health remaining)

Whoosh!

Player MISSES the Gloom Gaki (15)

-6 Health for Gloom Gaki

(Gloom Gaki has 9 health remaining)

Whoosh!

Player MISSES the Gloom Gaki (3)

Whoosh!

Player MISSES the Gloom Gaki (3)

-6 Health for Gloom Gaki

(Gloom Gaki has -3 health remaining)

Luminescent Lurker SCRATCHES player for 19 damage

Player SCRATCHES the Luminescent Lurker

-5 Health for Luminescent Lurker

(Luminescent Lurker has 20 health remaining)

Player SCRATCHES the Luminescent Lurker

Progress on the magic talking sword NPC… Now I just need it to fly out of the player’s hand and attack them if it gets too low lol

If you make the sword too angry, it will attack you! lol