Import openai in Python 3.10.5 causing ImportError

Hi all,

I’ve run pip install openai successfully.

I’m just trying to run a simple image gen running the following code copied and pasted perfectly from the OpenAI API page:

import os
import openai

openai.api_key = os.getenv("OPENAI_API_KEY")
openai.Image.create(
  prompt="A cute baby sea otter",
  n=2,
  size="1024x1024"
)

and I get the following error:
ImportError: cannot import name 'Mapping' from 'collections' (C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\collections\__init__.py)

On Stack Overflow they recommend changing the import command, but the error is coming from within the OpenAI library.

Apparently I’m the only one on the internet experiencing this problem. Can someone kindly assist? I’m running Python 3.10.5 64-bit on Windows 10.

Thanks so much!

In case you need the full traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\Users\The Best\thebest-1\gptfun.py", line 3, in <module>
    import openai
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\openai\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
    from openai.api_resources import (
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\openai\api_resources\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from openai.api_resources.audio import Audio  # noqa: F401
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\openai\api_resources\audio.py", line 4, in <module>   
    from openai import api_requestor, util
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\openai\api_requestor.py", line 25, in <module>        
    import requests
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\requests\__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
    import urllib3
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .connectionpool import (
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 29, in <module>
    from .connection import (
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 39, in <module>
    from .util.ssl_ import (
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    from .connection import is_connection_dropped
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\connection.py", line 3, in <module>
    from .wait import wait_for_read
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\wait.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .selectors import (
  File "C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\selectors.py", line 14, in <module>
    from collections import namedtuple, Mapping
ImportError: cannot import name 'Mapping' from 'collections' (C:\Users\The Best\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\collections\__init__.py)

you’re encountering an ImportError related to ‘Mapping’ in the ‘collections’ module while using the OpenAI library with Python 3.10.5 on Windows 10. Here’s a quick solution:

1. Ensure you have the latest OpenAI library
   pip install --upgrade openai
  1. If you still face that error, consider checking compatibility with Python 3.10.5 and OpenAI.

Hi Innovatix, really appreciate your response :slight_smile:

I’d only installed OpenAI yesterday, and can confirm that I also checked pip install --upgrade openai before posting. I’m on version 0.28.0.

I also exhaustively checked for compatibility between Python 3.10.5 and OpenAI and found no evidence that there should be an incompatibility.

On Stack Overflow it is recommended that this problem be solved by importing from collections.abc rather than just collections, however, since this line of code is in the openai code base I don’t think I can use that solution.

If anyone has any other ideas I’m all ears!

You are giving thanks to a ChatGPT reply.

Don’t use python above 3.9 until other reports of openai python not working reliably are completely fixed and it is made stable, unless you like solving these problems yourself and making pull requests.

I wouldn’t and don’t bother with even Python above 3.8.16 (a non official build of bugfix version), as Python.org is not manifested for and dropped support for windows 7 and windows 8.1, which includes a lot of deployed Windows Server 2012 R2 that your development could target. (For those who don’t like their servers rooted by Microsoft and randomly updating themselves or rebooting or installing Candy Crush.)

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your help.

I tried it on 3.9 on another laptop and you’re right, it worked without issue.

Appreciate the advice!