Error while importing OpenAI "from open import OpenAI"

I just get this error while importing OpenAI “from open impot OpenAI”:
ImportError: cannot import name ‘Iterator’ from ‘typing_extensions’ (/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions.py)

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/openai/_utils/_streams.py in 1 from typing import Any ----> 2 from typing_extensions import Iterator, AsyncIterator 3 4 5 def consume_sync_iterator(iterator: Iterator[Any]) → None:

ImportError: cannot import name ‘Iterator’ from ‘typing_extensions’ (/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions.py)

Do you have an idea how to resolve it?

1 Like

In just reading the title it seems that you need to change

impot

to

import

I did not read further.

1 Like

it’s a typo, me writing the title. But I did write this “from openai import OpenAI”

----> 4 from openai import OpenAI 5 client = OpenAI(api_key=openai_api_key)

5 frames

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/openai/_utils/_streams.py in 1 from typing import Any ----> 2 from typing_extensions import Iterator, AsyncIterator 3 4 5 def consume_sync_iterator(iterator: Iterator[Any]) → None:

I modified the title.

even with simple import openai ==> I have the same error.

Is this one a typo or an error?

In the title of this message I wrote impot instead of import.
But in my code I did write “from openai import OpenAI”. And As I said, even with “import openai”, I get the same error.
It’s clear?

Passed the error to ChatGPT which noted:

pip uninstall typing_extensions
pip install typing_extensions
2 Likes

Did anyone solve/resolve this? (Seeing same issue)

yeah some versions are bugged, you need to update the library (pip install openai --upgrade) (also don’t forget to restart your kernel/runtime/etc depending on what you’re on)

or alternatively, stop using the libraries. it feels to me like they bug out every couple of months and then you have to mess around with the versions again. I might be overreacting, but we stopped using them.

6 Likes

Thanks - the upgrade resolved the issue for me.

2 Likes

Sorry for being late in this conversation. I also got the same error . May I ask the version of the openai package that resolved your issue?

I have worked on this for hours and keep getting the same error. 1/12/24

Thx

Does not work for me either. (Jan 14, 2024)

%pip uninstall typing_extensions
%pip install typing_extensions
%pip install openai

from dotenv import load_dotenv
from tenacity import retry, stop_after_attempt, wait_random_exponential
from typing import List
import openai
import os

Leads to

Requirement already satisfied: tenacity in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (8.2.3)
Requirement already satisfied: python-dotenv in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (1.0.0)
Found existing installation: typing_extensions 4.9.0
Uninstalling typing_extensions-4.9.0:
  Would remove:
    /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions-4.9.0.dist-info/*
    /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions.py
Proceed (Y/n)? Y
  Successfully uninstalled typing_extensions-4.9.0
Collecting typing_extensions
  Using cached typing_extensions-4.9.0-py3-none-any.whl (32 kB)
Installing collected packages: typing_extensions
ERROR: pip's dependency resolver does not currently take into account all the packages that are installed. This behaviour is the source of the following dependency conflicts.
tensorflow-probability 0.22.0 requires typing-extensions<4.6.0, but you have typing-extensions 4.9.0 which is incompatible.
Successfully installed typing_extensions-4.9.0
Requirement already satisfied: openai in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (1.7.2)
Requirement already satisfied: anyio<5,>=3.5.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (3.7.1)
Requirement already satisfied: distro<2,>=1.7.0 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from openai) (1.7.0)
Requirement already satisfied: httpx<1,>=0.23.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (0.26.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pydantic<3,>=1.9.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (1.10.13)
Requirement already satisfied: sniffio in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (1.3.0)
Requirement already satisfied: tqdm>4 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (4.66.1)
Requirement already satisfied: typing-extensions<5,>=4.7 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from openai) (4.9.0)
Requirement already satisfied: idna>=2.8 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from anyio<5,>=3.5.0->openai) (3.6)
Requirement already satisfied: exceptiongroup in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from anyio<5,>=3.5.0->openai) (1.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: certifi in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from httpx<1,>=0.23.0->openai) (2023.11.17)
Requirement already satisfied: httpcore==1.* in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from httpx<1,>=0.23.0->openai) (1.0.2)
Requirement already satisfied: h11<0.15,>=0.13 in /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages (from httpcore==1.*->httpx<1,>=0.23.0->openai) (0.14.0)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-13-85853b39eca0> in <cell line: 10>()
      8 from tenacity import retry, stop_after_attempt, wait_random_exponential
      9 from typing import List
---> 10 import openai
     11 import os

5 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/openai/_utils/_streams.py in <module>
      1 from typing import Any
----> 2 from typing_extensions import Iterator, AsyncIterator
      5 def consume_sync_iterator(iterator: Iterator[Any]) -> None:

ImportError: cannot import name 'Iterator' from 'typing_extensions' (/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions.py)

NOTE: If your import is failing due to a missing package, you can
manually install dependencies using either !pip or !apt.

To view examples of installing some common dependencies, click the
"Open Examples" button below.

i also have the same error i tried to do upgarde as well i perform all the steps which you mention above but still got the error.

I also got the same error. Tried all things mentioned above.[quote=“obaid.oc1, post:14, topic:578166, full:true”]
i also have the same error i tried to do upgarde as well i perform all the steps which you mention above but still got the error.
[/quote]

Welcome @manisha3090

What version of python are you using?

1 Like

Hi, I am using py 3.10.12 and I have the same problem. I’ve looked at various possible solutions on SO and Github, but haven’t found one that works for me. Any insight is appreciated.

Hi @lmccallum

Check that you are on latest version of openai package. Currently ver 1.8.0

pip show openai

Make sure your typing_extensions package is up to date. You need typing_extensions >= 4.7 to use current version of openai

pip install --upgrade typing_extensions

It would help if you could provide a list of imports from your code, info about the dev-environment etc. e.g if you’re using google collab etc

I have the same issue on Google Colab:

!pip show typing_extensions
Version: 4.9.0

!pip show openai
Version: 1.8.0

!python --version
Python 3.10.12
1 Like

In my case on Google Colab:
!pip install -q openai llmx typing_extensions
→ ImportError: cannot import name ‘Iterator’ from ‘typing_extensions’ (/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/typing_extensions.py)

!pip install openai llmx typing_extensions
→ resolved!