I'm getting the error message "You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details..."

Hi there,

I’m getting the “You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details…” error message while trying to make calls to the API. I haven’t used any my free quota yet ($18). Please find attached a screenshot of my Account/Limits page.

Is this some king of a bug (I saw tickets with similar errors) or do I have to pay / upgrade plan to use the API?

Thanks for your help in advance

Not sure why this image is relevant, I don’t see any image with your own activity shown. You are given a $120 monthly limit when first starting with the API. Did you happen to cross that limit? Look in Usage.

Currently I have produces 0% usage. My account is freshly registered.
I can’t see $120 anywhere but I see that I was given $18 with the account.

Hmmm. Did you register an API key? You should be using your API key to gain access to these functionalities, it may be suggesting you don’t have a billing method setup? I’m not sure. I don’t think they’re just going to give you the free credits without the billing payment setup. That way when you go over the $18 you start paying. It’s not going to say , hey you used your $18 now set up the API key so we can bill you, it’s probably first to set up the API key so they can bill you then you get your $18 credit waived on your bill.

Yes, I’ve got an API key as well. I’ve set a billing address, set up a payment method and right now I’ve even purchased $5 of credit.
And now, that I’ve purchased some credit the f…ing thing has finally started to work.
I mean I wanted to purchase some credit anyway at some point, but really, there could have been an error message either on the UI or returned by the API which tells dummies like me what the issue is so I don’t have to f… around for hours…
Anyway, appreciate your help, have a great one!

1 Like

If there’s anything I’ve learned… it’s just keep trying and it will eventually work. ChatGPT is insane. Crazy time to be alive and writing code. Good luck, reach out if you have any more questions. I’m a noob, but I guess an experienced user.

I am getting the same message for the Assistance API, does anyone know if I have to pay separately for it ? I already have a subscription for GPT

Thanks

welcome!

yep, you absolutely have to pay separately.

https://platform.openai.com/account/billing/overview

btw, feel free to create a new thread rather than posting in ancient ones!

1 Like

Got it,

thanks a lot Diet

ps. I can’t even reply hahah

1 Like