How is everybody managing threads for long term use. What I want to do is have a user session and store those threads. Then when the user comes back another time have access to the previous messages. I’m thinking of doing this a few ways. Your feedback is appreciated
- use in build thread retrieval such that I can query the assistant id and latest thread id but also need to add in a user id somehow since I will have many users accessing it. So every time a new session opens it does this retrieval via OpenAI api and displays the last 5 messages. I would store only the user id, thread id and assistant id in a db
Questions on this method:
- how long does open ai manage threads before they get deleted?
- sound costly?
- what database would you recommend? Mongo or Postgress?
Store the entire thread, assistant id and user id etc in my own database. Retrieve the last 5 messages and pass that on as context to the assistant
- is this overkill?
- is there a db to recommend here?
- store the user id, assistant id and thread id and only store a short summary of the previous session. Use that to retrieve as context for the chat
- will this work well as in be clear enough for the assistant?
- has anybody tried this?
Thank you in advance