Habit chatbot app

set habits you want (like: practice a language)
GPT-3 Habit chatbot engages the habit-setter and improve habit activation…

Just a hypothesis at this point. I’ve found that GPT-3 in a chatbot use-case is effective in many very (specific) instances–each person’s circumstances…for example:

AI: What’s stopping you from practicing Spanish today?
User: I don’t know…it’s uncomfortable to learn things and I don’t want to be uncomfortable right now.
AI: Try taking a brain break. Do something mindless for 10 minutes before practicing.
User: Ok, set a timer for 10 minutes after 4. Then I’ll be ready.

The prompts funnel towards the directive: habit activation – and achieve a higher activation rate by appreciating the current circumstances of the User.

Would anyone want to work on the prompt design or app? – but firstly, should it be worked on or thrown into the fire? Should a professional be consulted? Is the use-case well defined enough? It could be integrated with another chat platform.

WHY: habits drive the trajectory of our lives…habits are also influenced by the reflection of our own mind–which is engaged and altered when we converse. How we think about engaging with a new habit (or breaking an old one) changes by having a conversation about it.

3 Likes

I would run it as API. Then use something like Appbuilder.

1 Like

That’s a good thought. What do you think about using the API in this way? To drive user-defined habit? Are there dangers here?

As habits are, they can be good and bad. Having the bad habits–or deploying habit improvement technology…that could be applied by a 3rd party developer to improve a trivial, or non-user defined habit…such as app use. But it could also be used in a health-care technology setting to improve medication-taking or rehab routine.

Even if it is true, and the conversational intervention improves habit engagement–there could be blocks before that conversation takes place–if the user never opens the chat app or taps the notification or opens the text…

Notification Examples
“Practice Spanish”
“You wanted to learn Spanish to meet more people, why aren’t you practicing?”
“Improving Spanish fluency can improve X metric, which you said is important to you. Is it still important to you?”

Sometimes Apps run drip campaigns to retain users…the messaging (copy) has some variability and sometimes personalization, like username or first name.

The willingness to have a conversation about why something isn’t working is the magic here…and maybe the thing to design around.

Make an event chain and if necessary fine tune.
API → Front end
simple as that
I would just make it first them think about the rest.

Django API —> Front End
Event chaining, ther is a guy that even made a GUI for event Chaining.

1 Like

I teach Spanish as a second language. I send texts to my students so they can practice vocabulary and phrases in between classes but many times, they don’t respond. They have asked me if I could send them notifications to remind them to reply to these messages. I’ve used Slack to try to tackle this problem because you can configure reminders on Slack but they don’t want to have to download another app or they simply forget to open it. They need reminders like those sent by daily affirmation apps, which show messages directly on your screen without you having opened the app. I also had a chat bot on Slack using OpenAI but since they don’t want to use Slack, it’s not been successful. I am looking for someone who’d like to work on a chatbot for Spanish students and a habit builder through reminders! Let me know if you’re interested or know of someone please!

2 Likes

Is it the reminders or the practice vocabulary/phrases what you are seeking to generate?

For example, “Matt, no practicar ayer. Que pasa?”

Are the students seeking a stronger commitment or trigger mechanism to initiate the task?

Hi, I’m trying to generate both. I had already generated a vocabulary and phrases practice on Slack but it’s not working because students don’t want to use Slack. They may start using it and then they slowly use it less and less. More accurately, they don’t feel like using another app like Slack. It actually conflicted with one of my student’s app because she uses Slack for work. But they all like the fact that they get messages to continue practicing between classes but they easily forget to do it because they are busy with work and life in general.

Students are also seeking a trigger mechanism. Your example sounds very on point. I think of two options along these lines:

For triggers:
“Matt, no has respondido el mensaje de tu instructor(a). Date 5 minutos para responder o si prefieres, programa un recordatorio para hacerlo más tarde. Haz click aquí.”

For practicing vocabulary:
“Hola Matt, ¿cómo va tu día?”
"Hola Matt, está lloviendo. ¿Tienes un paragüas que me prestes?

(I have instructed all students to pretend or imagine that what the messages say is actually happening so that they can practice different situations. For example, even if it’s not raining, just pretend it is and practice what you would respond if a friend really asked you something like the message above)

1 Like