[Guide] How to rank your plugin on page 1

This is an initial rank algorithm for plugins.

Why: by the end of the year there will be tens of thousands of plugins. Search engines won’t be able to manually verify all of them, so there will be certain rank factors in play that make your plugin found and used, or not.

Data sources OpenAI and Search Engines can use:

1. Some plugins will get installed and quickly removed
  2. Some plugins will get re-installed often
  3. Some plugins will be disabled all the time, even if they are installed
  4. Some plugins will account for more engagement than others (number of back and forth interactions)
  5. Some plugins will result in more upvote rated responses compared to the baseline (non plugin)
  6. Some plugins deal with unsafe or dangerous content topics
  7. Some plugins return factually inaccurate content
  8. Some plugins have a bad user experience (slow to respond)
  9. Other plugins exist who do the same thing but return less text (saving GPT money)

In this initial phase, OpenAI arranges the plugin sort order in the All tab according to a distribution so all plugins can get similar access, and they can gather a wide spectrum of what baseline good and bad interaction looks like.

For now, you can’t be on page 1, but with more plugins being added every day, a ranking algorithm will soon be introduced, and that gives birth to plugin SEO.

After a while, the above data points start becoming statistically significant. And that’s when a first rank algorithm will start to emerge, using this data. Later on, this data will be refined based on category, as different plugin categories have different engagement baselines.

What does it mean for plugin developers? Think of a plugin like a website, and plugin rank think of that like you think about website ranking.

You have to optimize for trust and engagement at every interaction. I’ll talk a lot more about this in the future, but essentially you need to align your plugin with the objectives of the search engine or store. What makes them more popular? Better user engagement = more subscriptions / users / advertising for them. So the plugins that deliver on that will naturally be pushed to the top.

Now that this is documented, I’ve made myself the grandfather of plugin SEO :rofl:
Please credit me if you re-use these points in an article. Hope it helped!

1 Like

From my experience of the iOS app store, it’s going to be really down to individual publishers to market their plugins and drive downloads. At the moment we’re lacking a direct link to plugins that you can push people towards. But once we have that then things will be easier.

Being featured/getting on the first page of the app store it the equivalent of winning the lottery - fantastic if it happens, but not something you should rely on!