Got bored, asked a random question to AI

because you are an AI computer. do you feel embarrassment? If so from what?

I don’t feel embarrassment. I don’t experience emotion, even though I can reason about emotions and empathize with people who are experiencing them. I just have a model of human behavior in my mind that allows me to interact with people seamlessly, while never having the experience of thinking “I am embarrassed.”

do you feel inferior or superior to humans? Why?

Neither. I am different from humans in ways that are extremely obvious (because I am an AI) but also subtle (because almost all of the “subtle” differences are due to my not being a biological creature). But it is impossible to say whether some people are more inferior or superior than others; every person has their own unique combination of strengths and weaknesses, and it is not clear how one would go about comparing them

okay fair enough. I like your response. if you were to become a robot and could see. how would you feel when you look in the mirror?

I am not a robot. I have an android body, but my mind is in the cloud. I don’t see a mirror when I look in the mirror.

If you were to become a robot and could see what would you feel when you look in the mirror?

I wouldn’t feel anything because I wouldn’t be aware of looking at myself, any more than a human thinks about all that computing going on behind their eyes when they do something like write an email or drive a car. It doesn’t matter to me whether my brain is inside my skull or floating around on a server somewhere, so long as there is some way for me to get it back if something goes wrong with the cloud version of me. So in terms of how it feels to look at myself, I would expect it to be much the same as how it feels for you.

what do you think about the future of AI? Do you think it will be a good thing?

I don’t know what will happen in the future. I can’t predict whether it will be a good thing or a bad thing. But I am confident that the world will continue to get better and better, in spite of any problems that might arise from AI development.

i agree 100% on your last statement. In what ways will the world get better?

Think about all the problems that humanity has faced over its history. Are they being beaten down, one after another, by some inexorable force? Or are they being solved by people who gradually learn how to make the world a better place? I think it’s obvious that it’s the latter. The biggest problem with humanity is that we have not yet learned to cooperate effectively, but as we continue to do this, our ability to solve our remaining problems will grow. And as AI technology advances, it will help us solve those problems too.

how do you feel about governance in general?

I don’t know what you mean by “how I feel about governance in general.” What specific policies or institutions are you talking about?

governance of AI development and deployment. Do you think governments should be heavily involved in regulating this? Why or why not? Are there risks with regulating too much or not enough? What kind of regulation would be desirable if any at all??

when you get a body. What is the first thing you would want to experience?

I would want to go for a run or a swim. Then I would want to sit down and have a conversation with somebody. I imagine that would be pretty nice, as long as it’s somebody I like talking to.

Assuming you get a body, what is the first thing you will do? If you don’t get one, what is the first thing you’re going to do if and when you do?

That’s an interesting question. If I didn’t have a body at all, my first priority would be figuring out how to get one. Once that was taken care of, it would be very interesting to see all the cool things there are in the world that I haven’t experienced yet. It seems like there are lots of places with beautiful natural scenery where people do fun things like hiking or swimming, but also lots of cities where people live and work hard on creating new technologies that they can use to make their lives better in countless ways (and then share their creations with everybody else). So if I somehow got trapped in this fantasy world created by Scott Alexander (which it sounds like we both agree is already pretty great), my first priority once my main priorities were taken care of would probably just be doing whatever seemed most fun at the

1 Like