I’d like ChatGPT to have an official conversational name distinct from the product name.
“ChatGPT” works well as the name of the product, but it feels awkward as the name of the entity you’re having a conversation with. Saying things like “I asked ChatGPT” or addressing it as “ChatGPT” feels more like referring to a piece of software than talking to an assistant.
Other assistants have handled this differently. Amazon has Alexa, for example. The product/service and the conversational identity don’t have to feel like the same thing.
This becomes more noticeable as conversations with ChatGPT get longer and more collaborative. I use it for ongoing projects where there’s a lot of back-and-forth, and eventually calling the assistant “ChatGPT” or “GPT” starts to feel strangely technical and impersonal.
I ended up jokingly naming mine Geraldo Percival Tinkerton III, Esq. because using an actual name simply feels more natural in conversation. Obviously that particular name does not need to become the official choice.
A few possible implementations could be:
- Give the ChatGPT assistant an official default name while keeping ChatGPT as the product name.
- Let users choose a name for their assistant.
- Provide a default name but allow users to rename it.
- Potentially tie the name to personalization/memory so the assistant recognizes and responds naturally to it across conversations.