Feedback on phone number prompt in ChatGPT Windows desktop app (Windows 11 VM)

Hello OpenAI team and community :waving_hand:

I’d like to share some constructive feedback about the current experience in the official ChatGPT desktop application for Windows.

I’m using the ChatGPT app on a Windows 11 virtual machine. When signing in, the app sometimes presents a phone number verification step. I already have a working account and use ChatGPT regularly through other methods without issues. For my particular setup, providing a phone number is not convenient, and I would prefer to keep using the desktop app without this additional step.

I understand that verification measures exist for good reasons (account security, preventing abuse, etc.). At the same time, it would be really helpful if the phone number prompt appeared less frequently for users who already have established accounts and are simply trying to use the desktop client in a normal way.

Would it be possible to make this requirement rarer or optional in more cases for the Windows desktop app? Especially when the account is already verified through other means (email / Google / Microsoft / Apple).

Thank you for the continuous improvements to the product. The desktop app is very useful, and I’m happy to keep using it. Any adjustments that make the sign-in flow smoother for regular users would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards