Feature Request: Nested Folders for ChatGPT Projects

Feature Request: Nested Folders for ChatGPT Projects

I would like to suggest a feature that could significantly improve the way users organize their ChatGPT Projects.

As users start creating more and more projects, the Projects list can become quite long. At the moment, projects are essentially displayed at the same level, which can make it difficult to maintain a clear overview.

I would like to suggest the possibility of creating folders and subfolders within the Projects area.

For example:

:file_folder: Company

  • :file_folder: Product Development

  • :file_folder: Marketing & Content

  • :file_folder: Customers & Sales

  • :file_folder: Finance & Administration

  • :file_folder: Internal Projects

The structure could also go one level deeper:

:file_folder: Company
→ :file_folder: Product Development
→ :file_folder: Research
→ :file_folder: Prototypes
→ :file_folder: Testing

:file_folder: Marketing & Content
→ :file_folder: Website
→ :file_folder: Social Media
→ :file_folder: Campaigns

Each project could still work exactly as it does today, with its own chats, files, instructions, and project context. The folders would simply provide an additional organizational layer.

This would be especially useful for people who use ChatGPT for professional work, businesses, education, research, or multiple long-term projects.

It would also keep the main Projects view much cleaner. Instead of having dozens of individual projects displayed together, users could organize them into a logical hierarchy and expand a folder only when they need to access the projects inside it.

Ideally, users could create several levels of organization, similar to a traditional file system.

For example:

Company
→ Department
→ Project
→ Subproject

Importantly, this would not need to change the existing Project functionality. It would simply add a flexible organizational layer on top of it.

I believe nested folders would make ChatGPT much easier to manage for users who have many projects and use ChatGPT as a long-term workspace.

This is exactly why I’m raising another issue: conversation history.

My problem isn’t only finding a recent chat. I often start a conversation, it develops in a completely different direction, and I forget to rename or file it. Months later I remember the discussion but have no idea what the chat was called.

What I’d really like is the ability to tell ChatGPT:

“Find everything we’ve discussed about X.”

Not just search for a word, but retrieve and connect the relevant conversations, decisions, files and context from my authorised history.

The information already exists. I just don’t always know where I left it.

That would make ChatGPT feel like an assistant rather than a filing cabinet.