Does GPT API keep data acquired from client request private?

Hello developers,

I have a question about data privacy of GPT API, which I thought should be frequently asked, but I could not find one in FAQ.

My question is;
Does GPT API keep data acquired from client request private?

It would be very helpful, from data privacy point of view, to know how the data sent via GPT API request is treated in OpenAI infrastructure.

Thanks,

Hi,

No data processed by the API is used to train models unless the user has opted IN. It is retained for a period to ensure it complies with legal requirements and it is then removed.

See:

3 Likes

While I think your response was helpful, as many people don’t know that API calls are not used to train models. I don’t think it quite answered OP’s question. They asked if the data was kept private. To me that means, “Can anyone look at it? What are the risks of someone abusing that information?” Without further information, I would assume people bare minimum, who are on the moderation team could view and possibly even copy any data sent to the API, yes?

Also, here is the relevant privacy policy for the API. The one above does not mention anything about the API policy. API data privacy

Here is the most relevant text I found from that link.

“Authorized OpenAI employees whose roles involve developing, delivering, and protecting our API services, as well as specialized third-party contractors that are subject to confidentiality and security obligations, can access this data solely for potential abuse investigations, if you reach out to us with questions, or to comply with legal obligations.”

1 Like

Data from API are kept for 30 days so that OpenAI can access it in case of abuse.
As far as I know.
How do they decide abuse and whether they randomly check, not sure.

So definitely not 100% private

I think there are some requests form to make it more private
Not sure where I saw it
They probably dont just give that to anyone

Ah here:

at the bottom

2 Likes

Wow that’s great. Thanks for your help!
Those information are very helpful.

Maybe I will get in touch with OpenAI team for Zero data retention request.

Thanks,

1 Like

*I can only mention two people in one post, so I’m posting twice to cover all members who supported me here.
@Foxalabs @93INFINITY

*I can only mention two people in one post, so I’m posting twice to cover all members who supported me here.
@Neoony