Data privacy and GPT3 fine-tuning

Hello,
If I fine-tune GPT3(text-davinci-003) with my data, I can name the fine-tuned model with my name and it shows up in my list of models.

1. Is this model private? I mean, is the data that I used to train it, used to train any models in OpenAI?
  2. If I run inference on the fine-tuned model, is that data safe too?
  3. Can I consider the model a private copy for my company/personal use, and how will it be priced?

Thanks.

Hi,

The fine tuned model is for your organisations exclusive use. As the data is fed in via the API you are covered by the API data privacy policy below.

Fine Tuned inferencing is API call based so is also covered by the API data privacy policy below.

Data sent to the API is not used for training. See

Starting on March 1, 2023, we are making two changes to our data usage and retention policies:

1. OpenAI will not use data submitted by customers via our API to train or improve our models, unless you explicitly decide to share your data with us for this purpose. You can opt-in to share data.
  2. Any data sent through the API will be retained for abuse and misuse monitoring purposes for a maximum of 30 days, after which it will be deleted (unless otherwise required by law).

Fine tuned models are charged at the following rates:

Thank you, Foxabilo. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Just quick follow-up questions -

1. Does that mean that, if I use the text-da-vinci-003 as it is(without fine-tuning) via the API, my data is still safe?
  2. I’m assuming the API data privacy policy applies to the un-fine-tuned models too, since I’m accessing them via the API.
  3. Therefore the, same applies to all models, Babbage, Curie, Ada, etc, I assume.

I’m reading the API guidelines over and over again, but I’m not very good at legal-speak, hence these questions.
Thank you for your patience.

@heythere240574 I suggest going over the terms of use and the private policy, but I think the terms of use has most of what you’re looking for;

I’m no legal expert, but in my opinion, yes to all 3 questions.

Cheers and best of luck!

Correct, any API calls will not be used for training.