Documentation of chatGPT for computer scientists

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask - the chatGPT discussion group is experiencing technical difficulties, and I can’t join. I am interested in 2 sorts of documentation: first, a technical report on chatGPT written for computer scientists, and second, a concise summary of the applications that have been established thus far. I know exactly how neural nets work - I don’t need that discussion (although it’s likely to be present in the type of report for which I am searching.) I just want details about the system in which chatGPT’s net is embedded.

1 Like

chatGPT is just OpenAI’s website where you can interact with the various models they have.

If you want research on the specific models you’ll find that here:

2 Likes

Your keywords are “decoder-only transformer-based reinforcement learning from human feedback large language model AI with byte-pair encoding tokenizer and attention layers”. And GPT-2, because it is at least open-source and researchable.

2 Likes

Excellent! There are about 170 papers on the research index. I was hoping for a handful, and for the level of summarization that implies. It occurred to me that what I really want is a chatGPT textbook for a University course, but I bet this hasn’t happened yet.

1 Like

Always happy to help!

Yeah, I started writing a teachers guide ~6 months ago, but I quickly realized that there isn’t enough well established, peer reviewed & published research to fill a course.

1 Like

OK that’s what I figured. Did you by any chance establish any kind of reading list and/or bibliography? Or perhaps advice about where to start one’s journey into the field? Again, I know neural nets, so I don’t need that. I am particularly interested in the origins of the idea of “temperature” and “embedding”, because they are closely related to my own work, but I need information about the front-end and task management. Thanks a bunck - oops, cat-induced typo. . . .

1 Like

If you already know about neural networks then you don’t need much, but I can recommend this:

Quick Lesson Plan for Understanding GPT

1. Read the Paper: Start with the foundational paper “Attention Is All You Need” by Vaswani et al. to understand the core architecture behind GPT.
  1. Watch the Video: by Andrej Karpathy (one off the founding members of openAI) for a in debt understanding of how models like GPT work.
  1. Take the Course: “Prompt Engineering for Developers” (it’s free) by deeplearning.ai to learn how to interact effectively with GPT models.

This should give you a comprehensive understanding of GPT and how to use it.

2 Likes