The use of ChatGPT in History and History Education

Since February 2024 I have been carrying out Action Research into the use of ChatGPT and now GPT Plus to History Education for 5-18 year olds and related curricular areas in particular in the Social Sciences, Humanities and English. The context is both the activities and reach of the History Educators International Research Network [HEIRNET] that I co-founded 20 years ago and the History Education Research Journal a also co-founded, an open access blind-refereed publication that University College London publishes. I would be grateful if you have any reports of the application of OpenAI’s ChatGPT and GPT Plus, i.e. reports, reviews, cases, case studies, musing and interpretations, I would love to hear from you.

Hi @jonnichol17 !

I think OpenAI is really ramping up focus on education. For example they recently hired a former Coursera executive Leah Belsky to be their general manager for education. So you will likely start seeing more resources/references in this area.

I tried to collect some information that I hope could benefit you:

• Khan Academy launched a product called Khanmigo, which uses GPT-4 under the hood; not sure if you can find reviews and some case studies there?
  • Oxford University was one of the early adopters of GenAI for education, and they published a very comprehensive report here.
  • Arizona State University used ChatGPT to create a “language buddy” to bridge the barrier with some of its foreign-language students, see here.
  • There is this impact study on the use of GenAI in educational contexts, from the National University System
  • There is also this study on impact of GenAI on the assessment in higher education, from Hong Kong
  • I also found this article on the impact of AI on history education, from EuroClio

I hope some of these will generate some interesting leads for you!

1 Like

This is so helpful! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like