Do I have to add a disclaimer to text taken from ChatGPT?

in OpenAI’s TOS it says:

(c) Restrictions. You may not (i) use the Services in a way that infringes, misappropriates or violates any person’s rights; (ii) reverse assemble, reverse compile, decompile, translate or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or underlying components of models, algorithms, and systems of the Services (except to the extent such restrictions are contrary to applicable law); (iii) use the Services to develop foundation models or other large scale models that compete with OpenAI; (iv) use any method to extract data from the Services, including web scraping, web harvesting, or web data extraction methods, other than as permitted through the API; (v) represent that output from the Services was human-generated when it is not; or (vii) buy, sell, or transfer API keys without our prior consent. You will comply with any rate limits and other requirements in our documentation. You may use Services only in geographies currently supported by OpenAI.

and in the Usage policies it says:

Includes testimonial generation, product or service review generation, educational dishonesty, contract cheating, astroturfing.

So with that in mind, does that mean I have to include a disclaimer on pages where I use text from ChatGPT? Like for example a blog post? Or a product description?

I can’t speak to ChatGPT specifically (maybe there’s other restrictions for it that are different, I haven’t honestly looked at that), but I’m sure the need for that is context dependent. In general, why not play it safe and put that in your faq on the site, or maybe a small note in most of the places you might put an author/aboutus/copyright etc anyway. But of course, if it’s some kind of blog site or anything else that would normally be expected to be human generated (or assumed to be) I’m sure the bar is much higher. You most certainly want to indicate sources in the byline of every article in that case. Best to play it safe really. And especially, don’t put a human name only on something that includes GPT content. On OpenAIs site there’s also a bunch of material on recommended attributions in cases where a human author edits and takes responsibility for machine generated text (for things like books, blog posts etc) so I’d take a look at that too.

1 Like

Where is that?? I’ve looked and can’t find anything like that.

2 Likes

I understand I am opening up a somewhat older discussion, but the sharing and publication policy seems to me to be difficult to manage with regard to attribution where, for example, I use ChatGPT to help write a letter where I heavily edit and add my brand voice. Is every letter to carry attribution? Does a paragraph in my website terms and conditions suffice? Any thoughts on the evolution of attribution?

Does it make any sense to attribute a tool like a spellchecker? Should I attribute Microsoft just because Word corrected a few typos in my text?

This AI is just a more complex tool that (cleverly) reorganises data that is already on the internet. This AI does not attribute every single source of its knowledge.

When I search the internet using say, Phind AI, there is no attribution with every reply, but I think somewhere on that website it mentions gpt-4 is powering its expert replies.