Difference between monthly plan and tokens

Hi, there.

Soon I will need to use Chat GPT4 through an add-on that requires it. It’s an add-on in a 3D software (Blender) that allows you to create 3D models from a prompt (of course, I need an API key to make it work).

It’s still a bit confusing for me: on the one hand there’s the monthly payment mode and on the other we have a limit of tokens that must be renewed by paying…

Do I have to pay for a monthly subscription to Chat GPT4 plus tokens or only Chat GPT4 or only tokens?

Thank you for your attention.

2 Likes

ChatGPT Plus does not offer any API credits or entitlements, so you do not need to subscribe for API access or upgrade benefits. API is a separate professional product for AI application development. Although you may have a gpt-4 powered chatbot in ChatGPT (and plus gives you plugins and more), ChatGPT Plus doesn’t unlock any API services or pay for any API bills.

API Overview

API allows programmers to develop applications for end users, and they are charged by the actual language data used by the service - the tokens sent and received by queries to the AI models. It is not free nor included with ChatGPT.

This is the access portal to an API account and its payment systems.

Where’s API GPT-4? I have a free API trial

You may have an API free trial credit if you created your OpenAI account recently, (three-month expiration after account creation). However, access to use gpt-4 services along with higher rate limits is only enabled after purchasing additional account credits, or having been billed monthly for actual non-free use.

A: Start a payment plan. Purchase credits to get gpt-4.

How much am I charged, measured how?

Payment is indeed from usage measured in the form of “tokens” but you don’t pay in tokens, you pay in dollars (or rather fractions of a penny) for your data use. A token is an internal AI encoding method similar to words or fractions of words.