DALL-3 does not seem to understand "from behind"

I’ve been at it for hours, trying to get a front view of a helmet which is not a problem, the true problem occurs when I prompt dalle to show them side by side but have one of the helmets show from the back of it.

Sometimes it will randomly work maybe once out of 5 or 6 attempts, but I need it to be consistent or at least semi-consistent.

“Create an image of a highly detailed ‘Hunter Helmet’ for a male character in an Action RPG, showing both the front and back views side-by-side on the same image.”

90% of the time it will show the front of the helmet on the left side and the right side will show a random angle of the helmet but rarely ever from behind.

This is the typical outcome of the prompt.

Thanks for any help!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, but I’m not quite sure I fully understand what you’re saying.

1 Like

Try, change yours prompty to DALLE :slight_smile:
Paset my text to chat better explane you

I’m using DALLE 3.0 for this project. I’m not sure what you mean by 512 degrees.

I’m sorry, but that is all alien to me lol. I pretty much know nothing about geometry. I’m just trying to come up with a prompt that effectively displays the back and front of the helmet on the same image.

This would be the ideal outcome, but I don’t know how to replicate it with the DALLE prompt.

3 Likes

Using that as a base, I got close. Still needs work in Photoshop and matches the original too much. Maybe show line-art of front and back helmet shot and try?

This is likely another instance of the model being trained on front faces more than faces from behind…

And it’s back (no pun) lol…

Here’s the prompt for the closest one. Might try to modify this?

A detailed illustration of a new helmet design displayed in only two views: front and back. The helmet should have intricate designs, possibly with horns or other decorative elements, and made from a combination of metal and leather. The background should have a parchment-like texture with decorative borders, and the helmet should be the main focus. The color scheme can include earthy tones like brown, green, and gold. The front view should show the face of the helmet, while the back view should show the rear design clearly.

That phrase may be flagged for potential harm. Try “in the background, middle ground, or foreground”. Some other phrases I might use are “I want a 360 view of the helmet”. “Make sure to show the view from every angle, front, back, left side, and right side”. You can also try to get a bit more creative like. "I am walking behind my friend who is wearing a viking hunter helmet, depict the character in front of me… " Does this help? I don’t pay for GPT, so I can’t test it out, but let me know how it goes? Good luck!

1 Like

@b0wnage

My experience; I think the magic word is “predominantly”, but I do not bet.

A predominantly the back view clearly shows the entire back of the helmet detailed fantasy 'Hunter Helmet' for a male character in an Action RPG, shown from three angles: predominantly the back view, front view, and side view in the same image. The helmet has a rugged and battle-worn look, featuring intricate engravings and a mix of metal and leather. The front view shows a fierce visor with a menacing design, sharp edges, and dark metallic tones. The side view highlights the sleek, aerodynamic shape, with additional details like rivets and protective ear coverings. The back view clearly shows the entire back of the helmet, including protective plates covering the neck, with a blend of leather straps and metal plating, all adorned with engravings. Show the back of the helmet in full detail.

3 Likes

Well done. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

For background “The background is a parchment-like texture, enhancing the medieval fantasy theme.”

A predominantly the back view clearly shows the entire back of the helmet detailed fantasy 'Hunter Helmet' for a male character in an Action RPG, shown from three angles: predominantly the back view, front view, and side view in the same image. The background is a parchment-like texture, enhancing the medieval fantasy theme. The helmet has a rugged and battle-worn look, featuring intricate engravings and a mix of metal and leather. The front view shows a fierce visor with a menacing design, sharp edges, and dark metallic tones. The side view highlights the sleek, aerodynamic shape, with additional details like rivets and protective ear coverings. The back view clearly shows the entire back of the helmet, including protective plates covering the neck, with a blend of leather straps and metal plating, all adorned with engravings. Show the back of the helmet in full detail. 

4 Likes

Nailed it. Well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! I’ve tweaked the prompt a bit and finally can get it to reproduce this about 90% of the time.

Appreciate you!

1 Like

The model does have trouble showing things from behind. I just had the same troubles. :man_shrugging: But here’s how I tackled creating visual consistency.

1 Like

DALL-E 3 has a tendency to interpret prompts in a broader sense, meaning it will interpret the prompt in a way that diverges from the general meaning while still staying within the prompt’s context.

Additionally, there is synthesized text from the captioner in DALL-E 3 that adds 95% of details outside the prompt, which can lead to unwanted elements being included. This issue of directional space, which has been present since the beginning, has not been fully addressed until now. These two issues are detailed in the concluding research section of OpenAI’s DALL-E 3 launch article. The directional issue is expected to be fully resolved in Sora.

1 Like

I tried creating a separate promt that only shows details. We can see that the image is almost completely misinterpreted. Even though image 3 is correct (in my context), when the prompt is recreated, the result is much different than the original, which is more likely to be a result of randomness. It can be confirmed that the confusion about direction and position is a constraint.

Create a highly detailed Hunter Helmet for a male character in an Action RPG. The color scheme be a gold metal and leather, with hints of red and silver accents for a striking appearance. The front of helmet has a sharp angular visor.

Create a highly detailed Hunter Helmet for a male character in an Action RPG. The color scheme be a gold metal and leather, with hints of red and silver accents for a striking appearance. The behind of helmet has protective plating and straps.

Create a highly detailed Hunter Helmet for a male character in an Action RPG. The color scheme be a gold metal and leather, with hints of red and silver accents for a striking appearance. The back side of helmet has protective plating and straps.

Create a highly detailed Hunter Helmet for a male character in an Action RPG. The color scheme be a gold metal and leather, with hints of red and silver accents for a striking appearance. The back of helmet has protective plating and straps.

Create a highly detailed Hunter Helmet for a male character in an Action RPG. The color scheme be a gold metal and leather, with hints of red and silver accents for a striking appearance. The back side of helmet has protective plating and straps.

3 Likes