Custom plugins visible but unreachable through @ selector on ChatGPT Web

Environment

  • Surface: Web / Windows
  • Browser or app version: Edge / Opera / Firefox
  • Affected feature and model, if relevant: Plugins

Bug

I am experiencing a problem with custom plugins/skills after the migration from custom GPTs to the new plugin/skill system. The plugins are visible in the @ selector, but they are not actually attached/invoked when selected.

Expected behavior

When I type: @plugin-name
And select a plugin, ChatGPT should attach that plugin/skill to the message and use its instructions.

Actual behavior

Instead, the mention is converted into plain text containing the internal identifier: $plugin-name
The message is sent as normal text, and the plugin is not invoked.
The issue happens with multiple plugins, not only one specific plugin, but just plugins i’ve migrated from custom GPTs.

  1. Creating a new conversation does not fix it.
  2. It also happens in private/incognito mode.
  3. Disabling browser extensions and AdGuard does not solve the issue.
  4. The same plugins work correctly on mobile. (important)
  5. The problem seems limited to the web client.

I started seeing this happen just today (9/25/26) and it was working properly yesterday (9/24). I see Codex is down right now and wonder if OpenAI proper is glitching as well.

After two days, it started working again; still inconsistent — sometimes it doesn’t call the plugins, but most of the time it’s okay

I think there is something larger going on, 5.6 is behaving really weirdly for me and I keep getting the Too Many Requests / Could not load conversation error. And when it does load eventually, it can’t complete the task I was previously working on and it returns errors like “stream recovery polling timed out” and “check your network connection”

It seems like this is happening since the new UI changes made a few days ago since I was working the same amount before in the same style, pre the new UI and I wasn’t having these issues at all.

To me, the strangest part is the fact that GPT Mobile is working 100%. This kind of bug would make sense if it affected the whole platform, but in my case the inconsistency is only on the Web; in fact, the inconsistency persists: I’ve been able to call the plugin on the web since yesterday, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.