Codeulator connects ChatGPT to VS Code

Hi everyone! I’m excited to introduce Codeulator, a new plugin giving ChatGPT the magical ability to join a VS Live Share session and collaborate on your code in real-time. The plugin provides full read/write access to your shared workspace, including all files and terminal output.

Codeulator is intended to streamline development tasks that you’re already accomplishing with ChatGPT - now you can forget about copy/pasting blocks of code, having to tell the AI when you’ve made changes, etc.

It’s designed specifically with ChatGPT’s limited context window in mind. Codeulator uses various strategies to mitigate this issue, such as automatically stripping out chunks of files that aren’t relevant to the task at hand.

Some tasks that users have found Codeulator useful for:

• Implementing features across multiple files
  • Fixing broken code and tests
  • Analyzing and understanding the codebase

See an example here: https://codeulator.com
Demo video: Introducing Codeulator - YouTube

Please try it out and report any feedback here or in our GitHub repo.

3 Likes

Congrats on your launch mate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please post a link to your privacy policy so users and other developers know what information you are accessing, how long you retain it, and what you do with it.

3 Likes

You can find that here: Codeulator Privacy Policy

2 Likes

Hi there,
I get this :
I’m sorry, but it seems there was an error when trying to connect to your Live Share session via the Codeulator plugin. This could be due to a number of factors, including network issues, problems with the Live Share service itself, or issues with the Codeulator plugin.
However, I can clearly see the ‘AI’ participant connected with read and write permissions.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. The AI shows up as a participant but then generates the error “I’m sorry, but it seems there was an error when trying to connect to your Live Share session via the Codeulator plugin. This could be due to a number of factors, including network issues, problems with the Live Share service itself, or issues with the Codeulator plugin.
However, I can clearly see the ‘AI’ participant connected with read and write permissions.”

Hello first of all congrats for your work. But I am getting the following draft errors ,
Some Info :
*I Give full read write access when VS code prompted
*Shared as a new fresh work directory with live share
*Shared as standalone file with live share
*I can connect from other instance of vs code to my live share URL without problem and change everything and watch the changes on host pc
*In chat GPT , I can see my sample html page is fetched completely from the live share URL , it shows all the content there

Error message is like this :

REQUEST TO CODEULATOR
{
  "liveShareUrl": "prod.liveshare.vsengsaas.visualstudio  (.com is removed due to forum rules here)/join?A61D3EC5E3E2AEEC20A9xxxxxxxxxx",
  "path": "sample8.html",
  "analysisGoal": "Find the title tag to change its content"
}

Used Codeulator:

{
  "liveShareUrl": "prod.liveshare.vsengsaas.visualstudio (.com is removed due to forum rules here) /join?xxxxxxxxxxF",
  "operations": [
    {
      "order": 1,
      "op": "replace",
      "params": {
        "anchorText": "<title>My Old Page</title>",
        "newCode": "<title>Test Page</title>",
        "relativePosition": "before"
      }
    }
  ]
}

Used Codeulator
I apologize for the confusion, there seems to be an issue with the draft ID. Let's try again. I will create a new draft for the changes.

Used Codeulator
I have created a new draft for the changes. The draft ID is "d-3". Now, I will apply these changes to your file.

Used Codeulator
I apologize for the inconvenience. There seems to be an issue with the draft ID. Let's try again. I will create a new draft for the changes.

Used Codeulator
Used Codeulator
I apologize for the confusion, it seems there was an error with the draft ID. Let's try creating the draft again.

Used Codeulator
REQUEST TO CODEULATOR
{
  "liveShareUrl": "prod.liveshare.vsengsaas.visualstudio    (.com removed due to forum rules here) /join?xxxxxxxxxF",
  "draftID": "d-01"
}
RESPONSE FROM CODEULATOR
{
  "error": {
    "message": "Invalid draft ID"
  }
}

Used Codeulator
I apologize for the confusion. It seems there was an error with the draft ID. Let's try again. I will create a new draft for the changes.

Used Codeulator
I've created a new draft with the changes. Now, let's apply these changes to your file.

Used Codeulator
I apologize for the confusion, it seems there was an error with the draft ID. Let's try again. I will create a new draft for the changes.

Used Codeulator
I have created a new draft for the changes. The draft ID is "d3f1c3e2-8e8f-4d3b-9c5a-6a1f9f4c7e8e". Now, I will apply this draft to your file.

I can get it working sometimes at the beginning of a day but by mid day I keep getting the error:

I apologize for the inconvenience. It seems there’s an issue with the Live Share session permissions.

UPDATE: The conflig/bug was VIM extension doesn’t integrate with this add-on. Removed it and problems became less frequent.

1 Like

I have been trying to connect to my Visual Studio 2019 community edition through the live share URL and I keep getting a message “it seems like there’s an issue with the authentication token for the Codeulator plugin”. Can you get this sorted

1 Like

Is this project still alive? Anyone using it?

I’ve been using it all day. But have now run into the issue where it needed a new link and now is present inside of VS22 but is throwing the error now.

Same, I’ve been getting different errors. I’ve gotten the one you described and now I’m getting {
“error”: {
“message”: “Internal error, please try again later”
}
}

1 Like

I am using Vs Codium on Linux and I am also having problems trying to get Codeulator to work.

In my case I can see the “AI” joining the session, I authorize it giving it Read/Write access, but then ChatGPT says there are errors accessing the file.

I enabled Live Share debug info in the VS Codium terminal panel, but no informative errors are shown…

@danger could you tells us if this extension is still maintained? If so, how about helping us out making it work? :sweat_smile: It’s been almost 4 months without any communication from you now…
Hope you will manage to get back to us asap! :slight_smile:
I’d really like to make this work!

Ok I think I’ve made some progress… I followed the advice in the extension installing instructions to first try a test connection between two local instances of VS Code, for example starting a Live Share session from the online version of VS Code (vscode.dev) and then trying to join it with another copy of VS Code running locally.
After verifying this was working, I tried to understand what was causing the lack of interaction from Codeulator and I understood another important piece of the puzzle.

It may seem a trivial info, but for the any participants to actually be “on the same page”, you can’t just open a file from the File menu, but you need to add it to the Live Share session using the Resource Explorer button (the top one on the left) and after doing so it will become immediately visible to the other user/AI.
In my case I was not doing this, hence ChatGPT was continuing to say Codeulator could not see the file I was telling it to edit…

Well, I’m writing this now because after all this testing, I’ve once again reached the 50 messages per 3 hours limit of GPT-4 :sweat_smile:. So, I’d like to thank OpenAI for giving me this enforced pause during which I’ve been attempting to assist you :wink:.

@danger: as soon as i get back to GPT4 I will try to connect the the final dot with Codeulator, I am quite confident it will work!
That said, it’d be cool if you could give a little update to the Codeulator guide on the extension page with some of the above info, which may not be completely obvious… Even better, I think it’d be great if Codeulator could provide this kind of basic support itself, directly through the Live Share chat session! This would make it dramatically more accessible! (I am sure you already thought of this!).

Okay then, if you don’t see me coming back here anytime soon, it would mean that in my case it worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

The service is at capacity. Please try again later. many days why?

month later, still

{
  "error": {
    "message": "The service is at capacity. Please try again later."
  }
}

really wanted to use this.
maybe this plugin should be removed if it’s no longer working?

1 Like

Still the same here on 2024!
It used to work properly but about a month It just give me this error