ChatGPT web client extremely slow responses for a week, with high cpu usage for chatGPT browser tab

The ChatGPT web client in US east coast has been painfully slow in responding for the last week, also oddly when responding the browser takes up huge amounts of CPU during the response mode. Of note this does not seem to effect the android application, which is responding very fast during the same time frame. I have done all of the browser fixes, cleared cache, restarted browser, logged out and in, tried different browsers etc., all to no avail. It’s really hard to use this for work at the moment. I have a basic subscription for a single user.
I was hoping it would resolve this week, and I do see some improvement, mostly not in speed but fewer error responses, but you will wait 5-7 minutes for a complete response, or you will have to refresh your browser tab, and CPU will spike during this time frame. This needs resolution in the quick term…

5 Likes

I have also checked my internet speed which is normal and very fast, I have tried with and without my company VPN running and seen no difference. I have used other intensive websites which render normally, and have tried both models, 3 and 4, the response delays and sluggishness are the unaffected by all of these variations

1 Like

Also have tried on 2 different machines, with no change in performance.

1 Like

I have been experiencing painfully slow responses with GPT 4 for the past week and it is not getting better. I have had responses take as long as an hour that would have taken seconds in the past. I have used multiple browsers, and multiple computers, with and without VPN and nothing is making a difference. Hoping this gets resolved soon as it has made a wonderful tool nearly unusable.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not the model, if you post the prompt in mobile, it will answer immediately! If you post the question on the web, it will take forever, but if you then go and refresh the same conversation on mobile the answer will already be there, even while the web client is slowing typing it out… This is seemingly a web UI issue.

2 Likes

I tried for several hours on Friday to get the mobile android app running on windows using some emulators but could not get it to work! :frowning:
However, what I have been doing is either asking the question on Mobile and when it finishes just hitting refresh on the web UI…that works but is a pain. For prompts that are more involved I have put them into the web UI then canceled the request. Then I go to the mobile app and ask it to regenerate, and then when it answers very fast, I go back to web UI and refresh…
It’s HUGE pain but it’s keeping me working while this issue continues for another week!
Not a solution, but a mitigation!

1 Like

I have encountered exactly the same issue, too. As a matter of fact, the response quickly shows on the android app but not in the browser. This is especially the case for long threads.

1 Like

Hi Guys, I have the same issue and I really cannot use chat gpt anymore. Response is so slow that it is faster to do the mundane tasks myself by hand than to wait for gpt to respond. I just asked it to change 5 lines in a file and it took like 10 minutes or something. Slows down my speed and definitely is unworkable. Started happening last week, before that everything was silky smooth.

1 Like

I’m having this issue too! I usually have to leave the page and come back to find my prompt has been generated.

2 Likes

Yes, same here. Painfully slow in response times.

1 Like

I removed all of my extensions to make sure that wasn’t it (echoes that searches chat) and that didn’t help.

1 Like

I’m also facing the same problem, I’ve tried everything and nothing solves it.

And the only time I managed to contact support, they claimed that the problem was with my browser, as I used 3 browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and they all had problems!

1 Like

Yep we are all seeing the same problem! I wish there was a way to communicate to support directly but I couldn’t find a away. I will say since move to 4o things have sped up a bit. Still slow, but not super slow more sluggish.
I’ve still been putting questions (prompts) in via mobile and then just refreshing my web UI…that works if being incredibly hacky.

It’s practically impossible to use it for about 5 days.

3 Likes

Same issue here for the web version. For last week it takes 3-10 minutes to respond and the website takes few minutes to load and get the prompt. I am a paying customer and I can’t use it. Google Gemini seems to work perfect as a backup. If this continues they will have a lot of paid customers jump ship to Gemini. And there is no way to contact support either. I tried everything that is mentioned in this forum to no avail. OpenAI → if you read this please fix the issue before you lose a lot of paid customers. It is unacceptable.

1 Like

Same here - it takes FOREVER in the website!

1 Like

Since last update, CPU spikes at 150-200% when answering

1 Like

Exactly the same behavior, I’m using Firefox in Linux Mint (also checked with chromium) and after two or three iterations the CPU goes 100%, the web slows down and is impossible to continue. If you refresh the page then the previous answer is already there, but is a pain having to do that every time you want to modify some code.

1 Like

No doubt, the idea of paying for it for the next months disapeared.

1 Like

What are we supposed to do? This happens in both firefox and chrome?
How do we get their attention? is openai even aware of the issuse?

1 Like