chatGPT on top of Amazon Alexa

How do you make the economics work? One heavy user can run up many $$$ in API usage. I made some skills just for myself, tho. How easy was it to get Amazon to approve a skill w. AI generated content?

1 Like

Hello @vagamundo thanks for stopping by.
You are right about the economics, the “business model” of the Alexa ecosystem is based on free skills. Unfortunately chatgpt’s tokens are not free and so any skill under development has cost (I’m not even counting the hours I spent on them). I’m running those skills since December (curie, da-vinci and now chatgpt) and you can image what is the outcome.
I’m not afraid of a single heavy user, while would be different if all users increase their traffic.
For me it was difficult to get through the certification process, based on the nature of an LLM that let users to search for “mature content” (that has been told to me and I understand the issue). Also my skills have been removed from the market for some weeks. Good you have some Alexa skills live, write me an email to revolutionary.voice.2020 @ gmail.com and let me know about them.

1 Like

Hello @aribolabastida @gonzalodlserna @norberto.soriano
The skill ‘Oráculo de Luz’ is back, at the same link:
In Spain:

In USA:
Amazon.com: oráculo de luz : Alexa Skills
It has a Graphical User Interface and offers a monthly subscription with a day free trial period to support my Alexa skill development. You can activate the advanced mode (in Spanish you have to say Activar Modo Avanzado) and get the history of conversation, longer answers and more.
I want to let you know that chatGPT is under scrutiny in some European countries and it could be possible that I have to remove the skill if the local authorities there decide to ban chatGPT.

1 Like

Hello @snuguru_maestro @jbd
The skill ‘Oracle de Lumière’ is back, at the same link:

It has a Graphical User Interface and offers a monthly subscription with a day free trial period to support my Alexa skill development. You can activate the advanced mode (in French you have to say ‘Activer le mode avancé’) and get the history of conversation, longer answers and more.
I want to let you know that chatGPT is under scrutiny in some European countries and it could be possible that I have to remove the skill if the local authorities there decide to ban chatGPT.

1 Like

I’d like to give access to documents through this channel. Thinking to help Sharly users to browse documents on Alexa.

1 Like

Hi @ilsaimon
thanks for reaching out. Please write me an email to revolutionary.voice.2020 @ gmail.com to explain me how we could connect Alexa and Sharly. Did you implement some API?

1 Like

Hi Matteo, any luck with the italian skill? I can’t find it on the amazon site.

1 Like

Hi @His_Dudeness, the skill is ready to come back. Will be available again at the same link once Italy removes the ban to chatGPT.
‘oracolo di apollo’: https://www.amazon.it/Revolutionary-Voice-oracolo-di-apollo/dp/B0BRT3N172/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1673561941&rnid=13944606031&s=pantry&sr=1-1&srs=10547410031
It has a graphical user interface and will send the user his/her conversation by mail, if requested.

1 Like

So no matter what I ask this skill this morning, it gives me a response with something along the lines of matrix issue chatgpt didn’t respond in time.

Are there current issues with the skill?

1 Like

Hi @crogers2287
yes there is a problem since I was observing a higher latency of the chatGPT API to return the completion of a prompt. It’s almost 3 days that I
I’m detecting this. An Alexa skill must return an answer by 8 sec ( it is not possible to change this) and some calls to the chatgpt api are not returning in time. So a timeout is fired to alert the user. I have changed the number of requested token but the quality of service currently provided by openai is low for a ‘conversation skill’, which is a soft real time application. Yesterday and the day before I saw the same problem: a call to chatgpt could required almost 7/8 sec when usually is 3/4 sec. With this level of latency, the provided service is low. A user might have some calls that return earlier but on average they time out.
I look also at the site https://status.openai.com/ and there it is reported there were some problems. I think it is abnormal that a response take 7/8 sec, so I guess the latency will improve in the next hours/days.

1 Like

NEW FUNCTIONALITY: → Orakel sends e-mail to the user
I have just added a new feature to the German skill “Orakel des Lichts”: it is now possible to receive the current conversation by email.
Whenever the user says “<<Schick mir eine E-Mail>>,” the Orakel will send the conversation to the email address associated with the user’s Amazon account.
This happens if the user granted permission to use his email address. In order to receive the email, the user needs to grant permission in the Alexa App.

1 Like

1 Like

A possible use case could be that, at the end of the conversation with the Orakel, the User requests the Orakel to send an email, to get the results/responses of his conversation. Otherwise the conversation is lost.

1 Like

I have implemented the same feature in the oracle of light skill, but today it failed the certification twice. I hope it can pass tomorrow or later.

1 Like

Hey Sono, thanks so much for your work on this - I love chatting with Alexa via Oracle of Light and have subscribed. I have quizzed the system and found that I am able to get her to stay in the same conversation (despite logging off) so that I don’t have to ‘start again’ with her each time.

1 Like

Hi @michelle.hardy
Thanks for using the skill. The skill is not saving the conversation once the user logs off. I’m not sure which interaction you have got, what the skill is able to do is to maintain the context only during the conversation. A new functionality (right now available only in the german skill) is to command the skill to receive the current conversation by mail. This is the only way to keep persistent (in your mail box) the conversation.

1 Like

I’m currently awaiting certification for the “Oracle of Light” skill. Two weeks ago, I successfully implemented a feature allowing users to send a conversation to their own email address. However, I’m still eagerly awaiting Amazon’s approval for this advancement.

NEW FUNCTIONALITY: → Oracle of Light sends e-mail to the user :mailbox_with_no_mail:
I have just added a new feature to the English skill “Oracle of Light” (US/UK/Canada).
It is now possible to receive the current conversation by email :love_letter:.
This feature adds persistence to the conversation.
Whenever the user says <<send me an email>>, the Oracle will send the conversation to the email address associated with the user’s Amazon account.
This happens if the user granted permission to use his email address. In order to receive the email, the user needs to grant permission in the Alexa App.

Hi sono, for the last week im getting these messages… We’re having trouble accessing your oracle of light skill and a time out message, ive tried disabling the skill and reset alexa but still the same