ChatGPT[Codex] app says I’ve hit the usage limit, but /status shows 97% left

Codex says I’ve hit the usage limit, but /status shows 97% left

I’m seeing a strange Codex usage-limit issue on my Plus account.

The Codex desktop app says:

“You’ve reached your usage limit. Upgrade your plan or add credits to continue, or try again after Aug 27, 00:08.”

However, /status in Codex CLI shows:

5h limit:     97% left (resets 00:08 on 27 Aug)
Weekly limit: 98% left (resets 04:02 on 2 Sep)

So the reset time matches exactly, but the usage status says I still have 97% of my 5-hour limit remaining.

Environment:

OpenAI Codex v0.133.0
Model: gpt-5.5
Plan: Plus

It looks like the backend rate-limit state and the usage displayed by /status / the desktop app may be out of sync.

Has anyone else encountered this recently?

Hey zirenjin, that's indeed frustrating.

Since the usage shown by /status doesn’t appear to match the limit message you’re seeing, please first try the following:

  • Make sure Codex is updated to the latest available version.
  • Sign out of Codex, fully quit the app, then reopen it and sign back in.
  • Confirm you’re signed in to the expected ChatGPT account/workspace.
  • Run /status again and retry your request.

Let me know how it goes.

Avinash