Can a complete coding n00b build an app with GPT-3?

I just downloaded the book. Extremely great of you to make this resource available for free in advance. Thanks a lot. Leslie

3 Likes

You’re very welcome, Leslie! I hope it’s helpful and I’d love to hear your feedback after you’ve had a chance to dig in. Thanks for the comment!

2 Likes

Every top developer was not born knowing these things. If you have the inclination and the willpower you can certainly learn how to do it. That’s a different challenge and goal than building and developing a successful GPT-3 application. So if you want to do both, you need to figure out how to fill your own skill gaps while you’re learning. Also, there’s a lot of skills in working with developers and managing projects… you’ll have to figure out which appeals most to you, rolling up your sleeves on development or managing the project (and development). A lot of this becomes much easier if you’re willing to pay a developer to help with your project (who is open to helping you with your learning goals). That’s what I’ve generally done, and along the way realized I have a lot more interest in managing projects than I do on the rolling up my sleeves part. All I can say is give it a try. Good luck, and you’ll be sure to learn a ton of useful skills from the experience!

3 Likes

Many of the responses from the system remind me of the occasionally macbre things friend’s young children say. But nothing more.

The OpenAI API is thankfully quite simple to use and since you’re already using it from the command line I don’t think the main trouble will be integrating GPT-3 itself. The harder part will be learning all the other stuff. If I can make a recommendation, using a tool like Supabase or Userbase might make things like handling authentication and data much easier for getting started, you can also avoid servers entirely if you pair them with something like Next.js or SvelteKit. You’ll find many tutorials on how to pair these things together.

I definitely think that having a dev friend coach/tutor you will be the best option. Even if they can’t really do intensive tutoring, just having someone to point you in the right direction or get you unstuck will be the most helpful thing IMO.

6 Likes

Great recommendations, thanks!

For those interested, Zeroqode has also released a plugin that allows you to integrate GPT-3 into your Bubble.io apps. There is both a public and a private version

3 Likes

The public version is for those who don’t have access to Open AI’s beta and want to tinker with it. I haven’t tried it myself but I assume they will put some kind of limit on the number of rate calls you can make. (as it’ll cost them). The private one allows you to add your own API key and make as many queries as you want.

1 Like

No judgement, I think it is great to ask.

Some other thoughts adding to what others suggested: there are “low code” platforms you can try:

SaaS: https://retool.com/ and https://www.appsmith.com/

https://www.appsmith.com/ can also be run yourself if you don’t want to put the api key in a saas(!)

If you get even a little bit comfortable with python, streamlit.io is a lot of fun, and a great way to quickly try data apps on the web.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for these resources.

Reading through this PDF Steve, and it’s extremely helpful to me. Even as someone who has excellent programming and systems skills and is running an engineering team of 65 people. I think that’s a testament to your writing skills. Kudos and thank you! This is a great starting point for me. Highly recommend to everyone else.

3 Likes

Just finished this Steve - it was super super helpful. I skipped the programming + working with the API sections, but everything leading up to it talking about the models, the pricing, and the various options was extremely useful. I’m starting to get pretty consistent and decent results for what I’m hacking on, and it’s thanks to you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the nice comment, Vinay! It’s very rewarding to know that the book was helpful. Again, thanks so much for the feedback!

1 Like

I Read few chapters of your book wooo its so detailed. Thanks for makeing it.

2 Likes

You’re very welcome and thanks for the nice feedback!

Hi Melanie,
I was in a similar situation as you, I used bubble.io and a few prompts and it wasn’t difficult at all. All you have to do is connect the API to the prompts.

3 Likes

Hey Steve,
Thank you so much for sharing the book. The book is very helpful and very practical. Downloaded the book yesterday and even if I have a beginner level of knowledge in coding, Still then today I am able to successfully created the GPT-3 Answer app.

And I would love to give full credit to you for it. Thank you again for your hard work in writing the book.

2 Likes

You’re very welcome and thanks so much for the feedback. I’m happy to hear you were able to the GPT-3 Answers app working. If you submit it for review, let me know when I can check out the live version. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’ll surely update you once it’s live. Need to make some changes to look better and thinking about what other way I can use it. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m building a No-code builder for GPT-3 called Obelisk! I actually posted about it here: No-code GPT-3 builder

here’s the direct link: https://obelisk.ooo

I’m hoping to get some feedback on it as I’m not entirely sure which direction to take it! DM me if you want access!

1 Like