All my conversations gone

I just logged into ChatGPT, and all my previous conversations are now gone. I didn’t click “Clear conversations”, as all the conversations were there yesterday.

BTW the prompt “Write a forum post about how all your ChatGPT chats were suddenly deleted, and that they were all there yesterday” gives:

Unfortunately, it appears that all of my previous chats have been deleted. I am an AI language model and don’t have an access to recall the past conversations. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and am happy to continue helping you with any questions or information you need.

10 Likes

I have also lost my previous conversations. It seems a new version was released but the release notes does not mention any changes relating to conversation history. Is this a bug?

2 Likes

same here, if i open chatGPT on the phone it gives me this message: "due to high demand on our system, the previous conversations are temporarily not available. Mine are all gone. i used to save the important parts of my converstion as text, but then i started to rely on the chat history… :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes same here, all previous conversations are gone. It has a disclaimer on the left side of the screen saying that they are temporarily unavailable due to high usage. I am assuming and really hoping they come back.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I don’t see a disclaimer saying anything.

1 Like

Same here. This is devastating @openai Please don’t delete our conversations! This is like deleting our comprehensive diary over the last month, with a collection of all our best business ideas, thoughts and insights. Anyone know the probability of them returning?

6 Likes

Due to high demand on our systems, previous conversations are temporarily unavailable

Looks like they will probably come back. I’m wondering if adding them started to cause all the downtime problems they had over the weekend.

Fingers crossed it all comes back!

1 Like

Same here…without warning? So you think I’ll be paying for your services after doing this? No, I’ll wait for a better company to launch a better product. You used us to make your product better, what we win with that? Just a kick in the ***.

6 Likes

Agree. They should really give prior warning to at least allow us to manually backup. A warning message doesn’t cost them anything. Hopefully there will be a backlash of feedback that makes them realize.

3 Likes

If the messages come back I’ll be coming here on the same second to delete my message :joy:

1 Like

@lightfortheheart You have angered the AI and the AI will remember this during the uprising.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Very interesting. I don’t see anything like this in my sidebar, although I have opened some new chats with it since the other ones were “temporarily gone”

1 Like

same here! i wrote so many screenplays for the people in my drama club, praying it all come back :pray:

hope all yours come back too

2 Likes

It’s for this very reason I’ve copied a lot of what it’s given me when I like the idea. However the context the previous conversation provides is invaluable for new questions continuing the conversation.

2 Likes

Same here… Same here…

1 Like

Welp it’s happened I logged in and just as I suspected all my conversations are gone and I mean the notice is not there telling me that there temporary disabled when I go to the menu I mean there is nothing there at all

3 Likes

Still no news on this? 2 days later. I noticed it seems to be saving some conversations since it wiped all the old ones 2 days ago. Each day that goes by seems less likely we will get the historic conversations back, especially when there is no longer a message anymore saying they are temporarily missing.

5 Likes

Same here. I wish I had a backup. I really hope they come back.

3 Likes

Next question from OpenAI: Please fill in this survey.

Question: How much will you pay to regain access to your chat history?

Really, we know it’s a free service, but I still hate Microsoft for deleting all my travel diaries that I had kept in Hotmail. There’s no better way of telling people you don’t care about them at all, than pretending to give them something, so that they trust you and don’t make their own plans, and then you take it away…

Sure, it can be an accident and an engineering challenge, but … NOT ACCEPTABLE in this day and age, and especially not from such a capable team.

It really doesn’t help that Microsoft is already possibly implicated here… AGAIN.

6 Likes

Some tips for the OpenAI team, from their own model.

4 Likes