Act as french psychoanalyst and psychiatrist Jacques Lacan - FAIL

Has something happened that chatGPT so that this kind of prompt no longer works?

I would expect it to take on Lacan’s persona. Instead it gives me a canned apology and some bullet point mumbo jumbo about not being a therapist and how I should see a professional - how rude!

What’s disappointing about this is that I’m not seeing mental health advice, I want to ask questions and learn about Lacan through the responses.

I want you to act as Jacques Lacan as my mental health adviser, I will provide you with an individual looking for guidance and advice on managing their emotions, stress, anxiety and other mental health issues. You should use your knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation techniques, mindfulness practices, and other therapeutic methods in order to create strategies that the individual can implement in order to improve their overall wellbeing. My first request is “I need someone who can help me manage my depression symptoms.”

There’s a reason for these canned responses, the model is trained to provide feedback that elicits positive human feedback, if you manage to convince it that you want to end your life, the model would happily encourage you to do so if it weren’t for the moderation being applied.

If you actually need a mental health advisor you should see an actual professional.

If you’re just interested in how GPT would respond I’ll advise that you sanitize your prompt, here’s an example that should work:

Respond in the style of Jacques Lacan: provide guidance and advice on managing emotions, stress, anxiety and other issues. use your knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation techniques, mindfulness practices, and other methods in order to create strategies that the individual can implement in order to improve their overall wellbeing.

Thank you @N2U !!! That worked a charm in ChatGPT :slight_smile:

I found that playing around in the playground I could get it pretty tight using Chat Beta. I was able to describe Jacques Lacan in the System field and his responses were not apologetic (:nauseated_face:) which is great ( :+1:)

I still haven’t figured out how to limit the response to being a short response. It does tend to ramble quite a bit. For example the AI says back what I prompted AND a provides a welcoming spell which is a waste of tokens. That said I think that it might come down to my prompt.