5$ limit on API not true - API never used before

Hi, i’m new to gbt API. Currently I’m trying to create a chatBot but every time I try to send a request on a index.html page it says:

openai.RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

But i never used api! In fact I have 0/5$ used this month and i signed for the first time a week ago! If i go to the Billing page I see Free trial 0.00$ remaining, which should be 5.

Please help me - consider also i’m a novice.

Due to misuse by bad actors, OpenAI no longer gives away free $18 or free $5 with accounts.

429 - You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details Cause: You have run out of credits or hit your maximum monthly spend.

Solution: Buy more credits or learn how to increase your limits.

1 Like

So why does it still say “Free trial” if no credits are available?

Screenshot?

Is this an old account? Are the credits expired?

It’s not an old account and no, the credit are not expired 'cause I signed a week ago.

Right. So if you never got credits (which used to happen in the past and still do occasionally via Microsoft or elsewhere), it would show $0 remaining because you never had any.

You just need to add credits. $5 should be enough to test it out.

Sorry if asking again but I just want to be sure to understand it right: once I add billing details, I’ll have 5$ limit as a trial (and after that amount I’ll pay)?

No, likely because bad actors signed up for multiple accounts, etc. OpenAI does not offer $18 or even $5 for new accounts.

1 Like

Alright, now it’s all clear. Thank you mate for your help.

1 Like

No problem. Hope you stick around.

We’ve got a great community growing here!

why is it showing 5$ remaining then?

It says No Credit Grants Found.

The $5 was likely left over from when they gave out the $5 free?

It is a bit confusing for some people.

Because you are still allowed to have $5.00 of monthly usage before a rate limit kicks in, of which you have consumed none?

OpenAI should do away with that “free tier” concept completely and just set new signups to $100/month usage automatically. Then not hide the account credit balance of $0.00 under multiple unobvious clicks.

1 Like

Agreed, I think open should completely remove this concept, which confuses and also is not fair for new users.

I have tried this… I rechared for 5$, and I am still getting the rate limit error…

RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

Ok, now this is interesting. I have actually no idea why you are receiving this error. Maybe the solution is just simply upgrande Tier as some developers say on other topics, but I don’t belive that to make this work we have to arrive at this point…