400 - The requested model 'gpt-4-1106-preview' does not exist

I have been trying to use the new GPT-4 Model that released yesterday, but it will not let me use it and it will not show up in my listed models, I thought it had been released to the public by now? Do I just need to wait longer? What is the issue?

from openai import OpenAI

client = OpenAI(
    api_key="MY API KEY",
)

assistant = client.beta.assistants.create(
    name="Math Tutor",
    instructions="You are a personal math tutor. Write and run code to answer math questions.",
    tools=[{"type": "code_interpreter"}],
    model="gpt-4-1106-preview"
)

print(f"{assistant}\n")

thread = client.beta.threads.create()

message = client.beta.threads.messages.create(
    thread_id=thread.id,
    role="user",
    content="I need to solve the equation `3x + 11 = 14`. Can you help me?"
)

print(f"{message}\n")

run = client.beta.threads.runs.create(
  thread_id=thread.id,
  assistant_id=assistant.id,
  instructions="Please address the user as Jane Doe. The user has a premium account."
)

run = client.beta.threads.runs.retrieve(
  thread_id=thread.id,
  run_id=run.id
)

messages = client.beta.threads.messages.list(
  thread_id=thread.id
)

print(print(f"\n\n{assistant}"))

I have the same issue:

$ curl https://api.openai.com/v1/completions -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H "Authorization: Bearer <API_KEY>" -d '{"model": "gpt-4-1106-preview", "prompt": "Say this is a test", "temperature": 0, "max_tokens": 7}'
{
    "error": {
        "message": "The model `gpt-4-1106-preview` does not exist or you do not have access to it. Learn more: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4.",
        "type": "invalid_request_error",
        "param": null,
        "code": "model_not_found"
    }
}

If you read what it states on the link you are provided in the error you will see that it says:

On July 6, 2023, we gave access to the [GPT-4 API](https://platform.openai.com/docs/models/gpt-4) (8k) to all API users who have made a successful payment of $1 or more. We plan to open up access to all developers soon, and then start raising rate-limits after that depending on compute availability.

For API accounts created after August 18, 2023, you can get instant access to GPT-4 after purchasing $0.50 worth or more of pre-paid credits. You can read about prepaid billing.

I’m pretty sure you need GPT-4 access to use the new GPT-4 Turbo.

2 Likes

The blog article for GPT4 Turbo (GPT-4 Turbo | OpenAI Help Center) states “Anyone with an OpenAI API account has access.”

Not sure then, I guess you either need to prepay 0.50 usd or wait and see if its a temporary issue that will be resolved.

I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve been paying for an account since July 2023, and have spent > $200 via the Chat Completions API, so I’ve had access to gpt-4 for a while now.

This feels like a bug to me, but it would be great to get some official word on whether or not some other steps need to be taken to enable access to gpt-4-1106-preview.

1 Like

I believe its rolling out slowly. very similar to how they did the other accesses. just a waiting game I am sure. there are multiple threads with this issue going on.

1 Like

do you guys have access on the playground?

I saw the same error openai.BadRequestError: Error code: 400 - {'error': {'message': "The requested model 'gpt-4-turbo-1106' does not exist.", 'type': 'invalid_request_error', 'param': 'model', 'code': 'model_not_found'}}

The https://platform.openai.com/account/billing/overview showed some Credit balance from the trial days. I added a payment method to see if it can fix the issue. Indeed it resolved the issue. OpenAI is saying no more trials. Pay up!

1 Like

Not all accounts have access to it atm

Open AI will be rolling out access over the next days / weeks

2 Likes

I do, and tested there already :slight_smile: but the api stuff not accessible yet. to all.

I understand, seems like there are some outages currently though so I will add prepaid credits and then try again. This link did not show up when I did my testing the other day. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!

1 Like

I get the same issue “does not exist” I’m using a paid account, tested app on other models only gpt-4-1106-preview throws this error

1 Like

You need to deposit at least 10 USD of credit. A monthly subscription of 20 USD alone is not sufficient.

2 Likes

Prepaying $10 resolved the issue for me.

2 Likes

I had the same problem. I paid for the membership and used $0 out of the $18 limit, but I still cannot access it. I also receive rate limit error… very frustrating.
:tired_face: :triumph:
RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

Hello there. Anyone knows how to resolve the issue of not having access to the Gpt-4-1106-preview in API call yet having it in the playground. Cause it’s really frustrating

Would really be grateful to how I can have this issue resolved. Much appreciated thank you

1 Like

hello everyone.please tell me the answers.1.I have been subscribing to chat-gpt since its publication.now I pay 20 dollars a month.got an open ai key.it has now expired.can I get a new key by paying only for a $20 subscription?2. now, when trying to create assistants, there are only 3.5 versions and no 4 versions in the list of models.why?3. I have a bonus $18 from open ai if I spend it, will I get access to the api and to the gpt4 model?

1 Like

If you are not the user who created the organization, it seems the other users do not have access. That is quite annoying… Can you resolve it by making your own org, or payment in “personal” account, IDK…

1 Like

yes I have topped up my balance and got access.