Why in the World is ChatGPT Insanely Slow Lately?

What is going on with ChatGPT in the browser lately. I have been using ChatGPT a lot for work lately and over the past few days, every ChatGPT model seems to be moving at a crawl at best. I’ve had the system take 5 minutes or longer to provide a response to a prompt and it has made the system unusable.

I use a Windows computer and it looks like they took away the desktop app, so I am using my web browser. I have done all of the simple things like clearing my cache and cookies and tried different browsers.

Was there something in the deal with Apple where they agreed to slow down non-Apple products to try to get Windows users to convert? That seems like some shady stuff that Tim Cook would do. Interestingly enough, ChatGPT on my Apple devices work just fine. :thinking:

2 Likes

I am having this exact problem!
I am at my wits end in terms of how to resolve it.

The speed seems fine on the mobile app, but that is useless to me for coding work :expressionless:

2 Likes

Well, it was working well for a moment after I made this post. Now it is back to a snail’s pace. It really doesn’t matter if you have the best LLM system on the market if it is horribly unreliable.

REALLY wish someone from @OpenAl would actually respond. There seems to be a lot of people complaining about this in other forums and OpenAI seems to be completely silent.

1 Like

I’m having this problem as well. Ever since they brought out GPT‑4o, it’s been extremely slow half the time I try to use it on my browser. Even just opening up a chat and typing a response before submitting, I can get some lag spikes on the page for a minute or more. And when I finally submit my response, the page will lock up, prompt me that the page is slowing down FireFox, and ask me to stop the page. I used to get some lag in the past during high traffic, which usually occurred for me during the morning hours in the US, but I’m getting these lag spikes at all random periods now and way worse than before.

1 Like