What's "text-davinci-003-playground"?

Just found a new model in the model list - `text-davinci-003-playground’ in addition to ‘text-davinci-003’
What is the difference between the two?

1 Like

So I asked it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Prompt: Just found a new model in the model list - `text-davinci-003-playground’ in addition to ‘text-davinci-003’
What is the difference between the two?

Response: The ‘text-davinci-003-playground’ model is an experimental version of the ‘text-davinci-003’ model. It is designed to provide users with an environment to explore the potential of the model and to experiment with new features and capabilities. The ‘text-davinci-003-playground’ model may contain some features that are not yet available in the ‘text-davinci-003’ model.

1 Like

I have no idea if this is true, but it probably is not. gpt-3 has no idea what text-davinci-003-playground is because the last update to its training was made before text-davinci-003-playground was a thing, and it probably has very little information on gpt-3 models anyways. Just because it sounds real or gives you a confident response does NOT mean that there is a human making these responses in the little box with a keyboard, and it does not mean the responses will be true.

1 Like

Yea I know, it was just for fun.

Just wanted to make sure. There are definately people that would do that completly seriously.

I just did some testing. With 0 top P and 0 temperature both models generate the same responses. With 1 top p and higher temperatures, they generate similar responses which leads me to think they have the exact same training. I did notice that with text-davinci-003-playground you have the option to rate completions with thumbs up and down. That is not available with normal text-davinci-003.

I think that the “playground” version is faster, but there is a limitation of requests per minute. Maybe that’s OpneAI idea of reducing latency issues in production.
@luke It can be great to have your official comment on this.

Thanks

Hi all – this is the same as the normal text-davinci-003, it’s just helping us mitigate some load issues. We’ll hide it from the list.

3 Likes