Using OpenAI for business in China/Hong Kong

Hi! I’m Jackson. I have a question about using the API for business in China or Hong Kong area.

As I am currently testing the API service and planning for potential use cases, I was wondering:

1. As an entity registered in Hong Kong, do we have rightful access to the API services and apply them for business purposes? (Both China and Hong Kong are not on the list of supported countries/areas, )

2. Presumably, if we were to build an application using the API, would there be any risk of any law violation or against any regulation? Does this abide by the technology-related export laws and regulations in the States?

Look forward to any response or suggestion. Thanks!

1 Like

i’m looking forward to any response, either

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

This would likely be a question for support.

https://help.openai.com/en/

Good luck!

1 Like

@jacksonj I have the same question. Have you found any answer now?

1 Like

I am curious about this too, any update?

I read from newspaper that HK’s HKUST bought chatgpt (i guess 3.5) for their school.

Others show me that MS HK do sold azure AI to HK business.

recently bill gates visited beijing, and our… sorry “your” king asked him to bring AI to china.

MS has say on OpenAI right?

maybe can connect with Taiwan.
透過台灣取得 API 通訊後再拋轉可行嗎 ?

1 Like

Is the status still the same?

Up until today, I was able to access the API from Hong Kong. The website needed a VPN.
However, recently I’m getting "“No transformation found io.ktor.utils.io.t kotlin reflection (rest of message truncated)” in one app and a cloudflare block page through the API on another page.
The main website works fine through a VPN.

So, has access from Hong Kong API access been blocked by OpenAI via cloudflare following China’s recent decision to block ChatGPT?

I think I have to complete a captcha, but how can I do that with the API??

"ubheadline"><span data-translate="unable_to_access">You are unable to access</span> api.openai.com</h2> </div><!-- /.header --> <div class="cf-section cf-highlight"> <div class="cf-wrapper"> <div class="cf-screenshot-container cf-screenshot-full"> <span class="cf-no-screenshot error"></span> </div> </div> </div><!-- /.captcha-container --> <div class="cf-section cf-wrapper"> <div class="cf-columns two"> <div class="cf-column"> <h2 data-translate="blocked_why_headline">Why have I been blocked?</h2> <p data-translate="blocked_why_detail">This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data.</p> </div> <div class="cf-column"> <h2 data-translate="blocked_resolve_headline">What can I do to resolve this?</h2"