Trust Level : From Member to Regular

Please Remove or Let me know if this is not allowed. I will delete this.

I have joined OpenAI Community since April and I was wondering if Assigning ‘Regular’ Trust Factor is manual and done by OpenAI Staff. I read the terms and conditions for the Trust Levels but not able to understand why I am still a ‘Member’.

It’s not that I only want to reach that level but I am just curious.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is like any other granted reward. I think most of the grants are automated. Clicking on members badges gave me a decent understanding of criteria for rewards ,but I’d love a guide too. This is an interesting topic to me not cause the badges but I dig automation.

1 Like

We do have a guide and I think OpenAI community is still following it. I think I’ve met all the conditions for a regular member but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Yes I know about the trust level guide but I’m talking about a general badge guide like I got one only 9 people have as an example.

2 Likes

Good point, man.

I thought I’d met the requirements for being a Regular, too. :man_shrugging:
I’m glad to hear other folks have noticed this.

3 Likes

It’s done automatically - no manual intervention at all.

The requirements are just a bit… hard
They scale based on the communities popularity, which, yeah… Makes it tough

But worth it!

7 Likes

lol slightly! This forum has grown so much in the last 3+ years. It’s been beautiful to see this dev community grow…

The mod team is working on maybe (maybe!) lowering requirements a bit.

For sure!

4 Likes

Thank you @PaulBellow. Well in that case, I’ll keep working on it.

3 Likes

Wow, got 172 days, I already feel old :grin:

I need to share more with the community. Time to put some code on the table :thinking:

1 Like

Peer pressure yeah I’m a noob lol :rabbit::honeybee:

2 Likes

I just hit my Heart Limit for 24h, How did you give 50 in 24h?

EDIT: Got it, 5 days in a row to be Cupid :cupid:

1 Like

I made my own version of “ Leonardo da Vinci sleep” so I have a lot of time n my hands I’m always out of love lol.

See you get more before the day ends I just keep track and use them so I know what topics I read. When I run out of hearts I step away from forum for a hour. It’s like rest breaks lol. :rabbit::honeybee:.

One thing I did very early on in my time here was lurk for a bit then try to replicate what others were doing. I remember being surprised at getting Regular status and access to the Lounge.

Don’t laugh too much, but at first I thought I was chosen for the honor! Haha. Soon realized that it was based on “gamification” of the forum. @sps, @Foxalabs, and myself were some of the first into the Lounge.

But yeah, looking at the current regulars or TL4 members can give you a good idea of what being a useful part of the community looks like.

A lot of it is answering dev questions (some more interesting than others), pointing out that the 429 error has the solution in the error message, etc.

However, we do have some interesting discussions in the Lounge which you get access to at Regular status.

Because the requirements went up a LOT when this forum grew, we’ve not had as many new people join the regulars, but this is something we’re aware of and working on.

At the end of the day, I think all of us just want a “cool” place to come and hang out online to talk about AI… in a human voice! :wink:

7 Likes

@MrFriday @thinktank I’m in the same boat. It’s like @PaulBellow said - the volume and throughput in the community is now so big, that it’s very tough.

I suspect one of the biggest hurdles is the 25% rule on read posts. Because of the volume, it basically means you must read 20k posts to have a chance of regular promotion.

8 Likes

@MrFriday @thinktank @platypus @mitchell_d00 @razvan.i.savin

I have read some topics on “meta dot discourse dot org”.

Based on some sharing, Discourse’s algorithm considers last 100 days for Trust Level 3 if Admin did not set more than 100 days.

You may find many sample tables on Discourse, I attached below. But I could not understand line 11 unique user and line 12 unique day.

Who knows? Maybe unique user is @PaulBellow and unique day is @PaulBellow’s birthday and other unique days, so we are lucky :grin:

• Based on this LINK, I filled Requirements for Trust Level 3 in the table below.

• Based on statistics on ABOUT section at the bottom of the page, you may add approximate numbers for 100 days in line 3 and 5 for Requirements

• On this page from top left corner you can find USERS section to see all users statistics. But there is not 100 days filter. You may find daily, weekly, quarterly, yearly, and all time.

• Also, based on Discourse topics, If you visited for 50 days straight (qualifying for the 50% of days of 100 days), and every other requirements are validated, you might be granted on day 50 (or 51) as long as the other criteria are fulfilled.

If I understood wrong, so sorry in advance!

YOU can compare your status based on this table. GOOD LUCK!

In the last 100 days Value Requirements
1 Visits ? / 100 days 50%
2 Topics Replied To (different non-PM topics) ? 10
3 Topics Viewed (must have viewed 25%) ? ?
4 Topics Viewed (all time) ? 200
5 Posts Read (must have read 25%) ? ?
6 Posts Read (all time) (capped at 500) ? 500
7 Flagged Posts (spam or offensive flags) ? max of 5
8 Users Who Flagged (spam or offensive flags) ? max of 5
9 Likes Received (must be across a minimum number of different users [1/5 the number]) ? 20
10 Likes Given (must be across a minimum number of different users [1/5 the number]) ? 30
11 Likes Received: unique days ? 7
12 Likes Received unique users ? 5
13 Silenced (in the last 6 months) ? 0
14 Suspended (in the last 6 months) ? 0
5 Likes

Imagine reading 200 posts everyday for 100 days.

if each post takes on average 5 minutes to read… so 200 posts times 5 minutes… means 1000 minutes per day… divided by 60… 16 hours? lol what, even if it was 10k posts, that is 8h a day.

That isn’t a regular, that is a full time job.

Anyways, glad there are, possibly, changes on the way

Edit: kinda sad I lost access to my first community account, had a famous link badge on it and quite a bit of mileage.

6 Likes

Sorry to keep this going, but somewhat connected to this topic - how does it work when setting Solutions? Is it OP or someone else that sets them? Is there some “grooming” system at work? I have done many “solutions” - in the sense that I’ve received a “great thanks!” response, or that there was some more back-and-forth among other people, which ultimately culminated in the response I originally wrote - but none of these were marked with solutions. Does a solution-tagged post add “intelligence” to the forum? E.g. if I was to ask a question now, and that question was similar to another question that has a solution pegged - would I be automatically notified?

4 Likes

I think I’m doing quite well, I just can’t meet the posts and topics read threshold as I work full time and in-person.

I would hope that I’m still considered a “regular” despite not having the badge!

And yes, I am going for the 365 days in a row badge :grin:

5 Likes

As for “unique user”, it means different, distinct users rather than the same user repeatedly, and by “unique day”, it means separate, distinct days rather than the same day repeated.

Regarding marking a topic as solved, it is generally done by the OP, but moderators can also mark a topic as solved.

Information from solved topics is used for AI responses on Discord, but it is not related to the requirements for Regular status.

The highest hurdle is probably the reading requirement…

3 Likes