Suggestion: Add research resource or source citations

When I ask chat Chat GPT (3.5?) for anything “according to research” or “using what research reveals” or “based on current research” or anything similar, it gives me general statements. It doesn’t say what research it used to come to that conclusion. If I ask for the sources, it tells me that it cannot provide the sources from which it gathered information because it wasn’t trained to do that. It then suggests I go do the research myself. Here’s the latest:

“I’m sorry for any confusion, but as an AI language model, I don’t have direct access to specific external sources or databases, including research studies or reports. Instead, I generate responses based on a mixture of licensed data, data created by human trainers, and publicly available data. My responses are generated based on patterns in the data I was trained on, which includes a wide range of sources such as books, websites, and other texts, to provide information and answer questions to the best of my ability. Therefore, the responses I provided earlier are based on general knowledge and understanding of common trends and insights in the areas of salary negotiation and workplace benefits, rather than specific research sources. If you’re looking for specific research studies or reports on these topics, I would recommend conducting a search through academic databases, professional journals, or credible websites that specialize in human resources, employment trends, or workplace studies.”

Note: it says it is trained to use publicly available data, so citing which data would be a logical request to validate its responses.

I am using this tool to save time and if it would provide the sources (most easily by citing them in the responses), I can then review them in context and perhaps add more useful info for my clients. If it doesn’t have access to the data sources, how can we trust that it is providing us with responses based on valid research?

Can you add this ability?