Revenue Sharing - What's the Deal?

I totally welcome Revenue Sharing model with GPT Store that was announced on DevDay!
So… let’s discuss. What’s the deal? For those of you who have plugins among those thousand or so in the Plugin Store… what do you think?

1 Like

I think it might be good, depending on the conditions. I feel like subscriptions for extra requests/features through OAuth probably won’t go away unless the revenue share model gives really an amazing incentive.

1 Like

I think it’s different than what they currently refer to as “Plugins”.
They are actual custom GPT experiences rather than the main experience using plugins (which didn’t exactly get traction.
With GPTs, they have a few goals

1. Build a hub for productivity - Enable a million different ways to use GPT by providing an “App Store” for AI (“GPTs”)
  2. Democratize app creation. You just need to chat with GPT to create a GPT. More popular apps though will have more capabilities and deeper integration, but there will be a million of these GPTs… given the low barrier to market.
  3. Reward creators of GPTs that people want and use with discovery, revenue sharing.
4 Likes

I’m interested to see how they position a portion of revenue share.

Is it 1%, 5%, 20%, 40%?

Based on rumors there were 5mill Plus users ~2months ago. Which would hypothetically be $100M monthly revenue.

I think the goal of this is to encourage people to convert from free-to-plus.

According to sama there’s 100M weekly users. I’m assuming 90% of those are free users so incentivizing anything that bumps that number up will create some interesting market dynamics.

GPTs have a native landing page with a CTA to get a Plus Subscription to use it. It’s pretty awesome and what I wished for the plugin store.

My optimist view is that it will be somewhere between 20-40% rev share and will be based on usage. So something like (all uses of GPTs / revenue shared) x (amount your GPTs are in that month)

If so, there could be a lot of money to be made for something that gets a lot of usage.

2 Likes

What’s the revenue gained per inquiry by a plus member asking a question to a “pipefitter calculator” or “mom simulator” AI app though? Every generation produced by a subscriber, beyond that which compels the subscription itself, is a cost to OpenAI.

1 Like

the revenue gained is in GPTs doing the marketing for Plus. A marketplace full of people trying to get people to use (and they have to subscribe to plus to use the GPTs)

I see this as OAI paying for cost of acquisition through revenue sharing.

1 Like

I’m curious about how the ‘verification’ will be. It’s so easy to make a GPT that I doubt anything will be allowed to be part of the store.

It will probably be similar to how plugins in the Plugin Store get reviewed and verified before they are listed.
But the number of GPTs will skyrocket so they will need to either automate it , beef up the team of reviewers or both.

I hope whatever the Revenue Sharing plan is, it benefits existing plugin developers the most.

They really should just go the route that both the apple and google stores went. Build in monetization right into the platform to allow you to buy / subscribe to GPTs.

This would benefit them in multiple ways:

1. Additional stream of income that currently doesn’t exist (I.e. 20-30% of all transactions)
  2. Simplifies the experience GPT users to pay for premium GPTs
  3. More direct incentive to developers to build GPTs
  4. Simple experience for developers to integrate monetization so ultimately more apps will get built that would otherwise not get built because of cost to run (stripe is a known quantity but still not an insignificant amount of work to manage)
5 Likes

It is easy to create GPTs, but the best result from GPT can only be obtained if a trained person has created it based on the right knowledge base, prompts, and actions.

but yeah, It is not as easy as to create Plug inns or Mobile application. OpenAI could implement a model where GPT creators are charged to list their GPT applications on a dedicated marketplace just like Google Store and apple store is doing. in this way many people will think before they spend money on marketing their GPT.

1 Like

Personally, I think this is a great idea. It will accelerate and promote the emergence of more highly automated applications that meet the needs of vertical business fields. It will also stimulate more outstanding developers to participate, and of course more consumption. The user experience will be greatly enhanced, which will be a win-win situation;

I totally agree with your assumptions. Cannot way to see the detail of this rule! :rofl:

The ease in which GPTs can be made won’t correlate with quality or value. However, OpenAI will need to develop a closer structure to the App Store in order to keep quality GPT makers making GPTs. Otherwise, you will end up with a store full of junk. Because of the ease, there will have to be some additional barriers that may relate to functionality and the number of existing, similar GPTs available on the GPT store.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I believe there will be a rating or ranking system to filter high-quality GPTs. Just wait and see what it will look like.

1 Like

I am a developer and my friend is a creator who have around 300k followers ,if Open Ai starts this thing I do have a great idea for businesses of India and I am also waiting for it to announce officially how much percentage it will be and is this program for every country or only for US🤔

well, now I got an email that the GPT Store is delayed to “early next year”.
It’s understandable… obviously it’s not coming by end of November and people want to celebrate the holidays.

1 Like

This.

Question is - what are the methods people are using to promote to and acquire new users (or users who will upgrade to paid) and if how are they attributing that from a metrics point of view? Is it last click before subscribe/upgrade? Pass-through info tracking from external sites that a GPT creator makes? Something else? I have a lot of questions.

I own a marketing agency. Costs to bring users to your “Product” are very high. So if revenue share will be less than a half, it might be negative bank balance for a developer.

OpenAI is startin to “test” revenue sharing

1 Like