Referencing bug

Hi

I am a researcher working on entrepreneurs’ emotions and exit topics. knowing the literature, I asked ai for the following question “conduct a literature review on entrepreneurs’ emotional disengagement and business exit and provide review paper references”.
The response included non-existing articles, all authored by “by J.J. Chrisman, J.B. Chua, and P. Sharma,”. I double checked the journals, my university library, and scholar, making sure the references don’t exits.

I then posted a short paragraph from one of my publications and asked ai to edit it so it’s more engaging. The result included a direct quote from my own article including a a term that I’ve coined, but referenced J.J. Chrisman, J.B. Chua, and P. Sharma (the same as above)!

I hope openAi team could help solve this bug.

Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum.

You’re not the first person to run into this…

Can I trust that the AI is telling me the truth?

ChatGPT is not connected to the internet, and it can occasionally produce incorrect answers. It has limited knowledge of world and events after 2021 and may also occasionally produce harmful instructions or biased content.

We’d recommend checking whether responses from the model are accurate or not. If you find an answer is incorrect, please provide that feedback by using the “Thumbs Down” button.

The ChatGPT FAQ is a great place to learn more about this particular large language model’s strengths and weaknesses.