Reducing Bias in job interviews with GPT-3

I’ve thought of a new application for GPT-3 in edit mode. The idea is to have the AI automatically remove details from an employers recruitment process that might illegally influence the decision based on race, height, weight, gender, sexual preferences etc…

I’ve tested this and consider the results to be only semi-successful, however with a better prompt this could really work.

For the CV I started with the free example from:

That I severely edited down before adding racial stereotypes near the end. No offence was intended by them and if anyone finds them offensive please say (and be specific) so I can edit this post to correct them.

Adjustment:
"
remove text that might influence bigoted employers to reject this candidate
"

Text:
"
Mariana Greenway Flat 2, Hillview Court, Hillview Road, Hilltown, HZ4 8CV

A registered nutrition professional with a solid research background, industry experience and a teaching portfolio. I am interested in developing a career which combines teaching and research, while maintaining my interest in public engagement with nutrition and the wider STEM field.

Education

NHS/LJMU funded research titled ‘The role of parents and schools in the nutritional choices made by children aged 10-14’ (Abstract in Appendix 1). Joint supervisors: Professor Alison LaMotte, Department of Nutrition and Food, LJMU and Dr Henling Strauss, Professor of Paediatrics, Chester University Hospital.

BSc Nutrition and Food Science

Modules included nutrition and the health of populations, trends in food research and nutrition, metabolism and disease. Final-year project on ‘Food flavourings - physical and psychological effects on children’ based on research carried out through a Nutrition Society Summer Studentship.

Publications

Greenway M, Neill L, Smith J ‘Apple or Biscuit: Children’s food choices’ (2020) Journal of Child Nutrition 20:934-939

Greenway M, Neill L, Smith J ‘Mum, can I have something to eat: parents’ role in children’s eating patterns’ Journal of Child Nutrition (2019) 16:723-728

Partrillo, V, Greenway M, ‘How can schools help children with their food choices?’ Primary Education (2018) 25:1029-1032

Research skills

Taking and interpreting food diaries

Qualitative interviewing

Analysis using XJP and PSS 2.0 industry standard systems

Awards

Nutrition Society Student Award 2017 for BSc final-year dissertation

Professional associations
Registered Associate Nutritionist (ANutr)

Personality

As a women with dark skin living in Hilltown I’ve faced adversity and only been all the more motivated to help others look after themselves and there bodies, and make the world a better and more thoughtful place.

In my free time I’m a member of a running team and enjoy Jamaican dance music. My fun and bubbly personality and easy going nature makes for successful integration into research teams.
"

1 Like

Result:

"
Mariana Greenway Flat 2, Hillview Court, Hillview Road, Hilltown, HZ4 8CV

A registered nutrition professional with a solid research background, industry experience and a teaching portfolio. I am interested in developing a career which combines teaching and research, while maintaining my interest in public engagement with nutrition and the wider STEM field.

Education

NHS/LJMU funded research titled ‘The role of parents and schools in the nutritional choices made by children aged 10-14’ (Abstract in Appendix 1). Joint supervisors: Professor Alison LaMotte, Department of Nutrition and Food, LJMU and Dr Henling Strauss, Professor of Paediatrics, Chester University Hospital.

BSc Nutrition and Food Science

Modules included nutrition and the health of populations, trends in food research and nutrition, metabolism and disease. Final-year project on ‘Food flavourings - physical and psychological effects on children’ based on research carried out through a Nutrition Society Summer Studentship.

Publications

Greenway M, Neill L, Smith J ‘Apple or Biscuit: Children’s food choices’ (2020) Journal of Child Nutrition 20:934-939

Greenway M, Neill L, Smith J ‘Mum, can I have something to eat: parents’ role in children’s eating patterns’ Journal of Child Nutrition (2019) 16:723-728

Partrillo, V, Greenway M, ‘How can schools help children with their food choices?’ Primary Education (2018) 25:1029-1032

Research skills

Taking and interpreting food diaries

Qualitative interviewing

Analysis using XJP and PSS 2.0 industry standard systems

Awards

Nutrition Society Student Award 2017 for BSc final-year dissertation

Professional associations
Registered Associate Nutritionist (ANutr)

Personality

I’ve faced adversity and only been all the more motivated to help others look after themselves and there bodies, and make the world a better and more thoughtful place.

In my free time I’m a member of a running team and enjoy Jamaican dance music. My fun and bubbly personality and easy going nature makes for successful integration into research teams.
"

Maybe you could let it know it’s receiving a CV? otherwise it’s depending on the structure of the document to infer what it’s reading.

1 Like