Proving Copyright Ownership for Immediate PDF Access – Seeking Collaboration

Hi Everyone,

I have an idea to streamline access to digital versions of books for users who already own the physical copies. The concept is to verify book ownership through a photo of the copyright page (or other avenues for proving physical ownership of copyrighted work), enabling immediate access to the PDF without the need for extensive scanning. This approach could be helpful in determining the rules for how we handle copyright and digital access for written work that is already purchased. Or rented. The publishers could even still get a cut on the rented (not on the purchased)…that is, people should be able to interact with AI on the textbooks or journal access they rent, not just have non-printable access.

Example: Given the high cost of textbooks and journal access in academia, students who buy physical copies or rent expensive textbooks are at a disadvantage… they should have access to a PDF version for interacting with AI about the content, as well as for easier use and accessibility. The end goal is to make information more accessible, as always.

I’m particularly looking for someone to take this idea and run with it. My main interest is in seeing this idea implemented. I kindly ask for proper attribution for the initial concept and am open to collaboration in its development.

If you’re interested in this concept, have experience with copyright or digital access technologies, or are looking for a new project to collaborate on, please get in touch! I’m eager to hear your thoughts and explore potential parterships.

Looking forward to not scanning the thousands of books that I trained on!

Best,
Michie

Is that even legal?

I mean why do you imply that you own a right for the digital version because you bought the printed version?

1 Like

YES!! If you bought the book, you can scan it. This is a no-scan fix for that problem.

Format shifting has generally been found to fall under fair use for personal use.

This, though, is not that.

1 Like

Plus, then people will still pay for things that the publishers want them to pay for…

My same thought. I mean the copyright owners for different formats might even be different companies…

1 Like

It sort of is…it just involves a bridge, so the scanning every page of a 28 year career library of physical books and journals is not necessary. I would definitely use a GPT that could make this an easy process!!!

This is not format shifting.

This is substituting one copyrighted product for another—copyright infringement.

Except what you are describing is copyright infringement.

Beside that. If I wanted to implement such a process I guess I’d have to talk to some publishers and we need to find a way to transport the digital copy from their shops to the user upon scanning. The problem I see is who is gonna pay for that?
Do you know how expensive developers are?

Really? When it is just taking the scanning work out of the equation?? This is today. Surely, this is doable??

Yes, sure… nobody doubted that.

Of course it is doable. Give me a huge budget and I will invent time travel.

The digital copies are already available, outside of the publishers. Look at the wrapper people who try to make money on people trying to get scientific information!!

So everything you find on the web belongs to you? woahhh I didn’t knew that.

Yeah, as a publisher myself, I get paid for each format so if you buy one format you do not own the other.

1 Like

I think you may just need to consider the value proposition here.

A publisher can sell to one person:

1. the hardcopy
  2. the hardcopy if the user loses their original
  3. the digital copy, if the user wants a digital copy
  4. an AI enabled digital copy
  5. an updated version of the hardcopy, if it gets re-released
  6. an updated version of the digital copy, if it gets re-released

What value are you providing to the publisher if you delete 5 potential revenue channels?

Unfortunately, the economy doesn’t run on what’s best for the consumer…

No, silly. But my library certainly belongs to me…the actual books and journals are in my possession, I just have to have someone scan them, page after page…

This seems like drone work to me…

So then we have the first business partner here I suppose… What would bring you into the position to say yes to something like that? I mean the service doesn’t necessarily needs to be for free i suppose.
Wouldn’t it be cool as an upselling product to give the printed version buyers a code to scan so they can buy the digital copy for a reduced price to use that in a RAG?

Yes, you can scan them. Nobody said anything against that.