Proving Copyright Ownership for Immediate PDF Access – Seeking Collaboration

The value to the publisher is in the future…people can PAY for the work in print, then scan it in as a pdf. Why pay for a pdf, when the work is in your own library for scanning.

It seems to me, since scanning came about, that this is a non-issue. If I scan scan my copy of a textbook that I have purchased and read cover to cover, for example, I can use it in a GPT build for my class???

I have hundreds of purchased textbooks. :rofl:

well you can’t just scan your copy and then distribute it to all of your students…

Right ON!!! Can you just build this, real quick? LOL, am kind of serious…I need digital versions of everything in my arsenal, and my administrative assistant is doing other things with the people who still use scantrons. :upside_down_face:

Sorry, I don’t understand, most people sell a digital copy of there book so what is the purpose?

No, this is illegal, open up literally any book you own go to the copyright page, and find the section labeled “All Rights Reserved.”

It changes from book-to-book but here is one of the most common ones: "All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, sorted in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means- electronic, mechanical photocopying, recording, or otherwise- without prior written permission, except for brief quotations in critical reviews or articles.

2 Likes

Technically this has generally been found to fall under fair use for format shifting or archival purposes.

What OP is suggesting is something entirely different.

If I own a book, I can, for my personal use, scan my copy of my book.

You cannot use my scan of my copy of my book—even if you own a copy of the same book.

I absolutely cannot create a service where I give my scan of my copy of my book to anyone who claims to own the same book, and even more I cannot provide a publisher’s digital copy of a book to anyone who claims to own a copy of the physical version.

This is all a fruitless and pointless conversation, because OP is talking about creating a massive copyright infringement enterprise.

@michieodle you cannot do this.

2 Likes