Feature request: Please stop automatically renaming chats after the user has manually named them.
I use ChatGPT extensively and organize different ongoing conversations by purpose. I deliberately give these chats specific names so I can recognize them and return to the correct conversation with its existing context.
However, ChatGPT sometimes automatically changes a title that I have already manually chosen. This is frustrating and can be genuinely confusing, especially for long-running conversations. When a title suddenly changes, I may not immediately know whether I am in the correct existing chat, whether I accidentally opened or created another chat, or whether something has gone wrong.
This matters beyond traditional organization or project management. Some people use separate, deliberately named conversations almost like interactive or voice journals — for working through thoughts, feelings, different areas of their lives, or different ongoing subjects. I have used ChatGPT this way myself, and I know other users who purposely maintain and name separate conversations for different kinds of personal reflection. For these users, the title helps identify the context and continuity of that particular conversation.
I understand the usefulness of automatically generating or updating titles for conversations that the user has never named. But once a user manually edits a chat title, I think that should be treated as a clear signal that the title is intentional.
A simple user-facing rule would solve this:
If ChatGPT generated the title, it can automatically update it.
If the user manually renamed the chat, do not automatically change that title again unless the user specifically asks for it to be changed.
Alternatively, there could be a “Lock chat title” option.
This would be especially helpful for people who use ChatGPT as an organizational tool, maintain dedicated long-running conversations for different subjects or projects, or use separate conversations for ongoing voice journaling and personal reflection.
Thank you!