OpenAI keeps repeating input as output

I have tried just about everything. Text completion with an instruct model is like pulling teeth.
OpenAI is extremely deterministic, multiple runs produce identical output, and I can’t get it to follow my instructions to do text completion.

My best results were with the original models and just pasting text and letting it continue rambling, but with instruct series, I just get repetition.

Please help.

There also seems some serious caching going on, like it remembers what I previously submitted and refuses to come up with any new ideas, but still completely ignoring the instructions.

See if you can change the prompt in a way that it actually keeps writing

Continue writing the article by adding a few new original paragraphs

Scientists believe that the cause of this acceleration is a mysterious force known as dark energy.
Dark energy is thought to make up around 68% of the universe, and it’s responsible for pushing everything apart.
As the universe expands, more and more dark energy is created, causing the expansion to speed up.
So what does this mean for the future of the universe? Well, scientists believe that eventually the expansion will become so fast that galaxies will be torn apart and stars will be flung out into the void.
It’s a pretty mind-bending concept, but that’s just one of the many weird and wonderful facts about our univ

2 Likes

This one cut off shorter, but hopefully it gives you some ideas. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

What is your goal here?
Are you trying to generate an article?

If so what is the title, topic and main points you wish to make?

Thank you Paul, I’m trying your prompt ideas

1 Like

I’m not generating an article, just trying to make autocomplete and continue write work (just the next sentences or paragraphs). It was annoying that despite me asking instruct so much to not repeat the input, it would still do it. Paul offered some ideas to trick the AI into working more like a text completion mode, but from my screenshots you see it totally disregarded my attempts to not repeat.

1 Like

If you begin with a real world objective such as generate an article for example, it is a much easier task to generate great output.

GPT3 is trained on real world data so if you are working on a real world kind of task the AI will recognize the pattern of the task and complete the pattern.

If all the AI has to work with here is a short piece of text with no beginning or outline then you cannot expect very good results. If however you provide a strong beginning or outline to your pattern it will be easy for the AI to complete it.

Maybe re-try your experiment but use a real world example (my added prompt in bold)::

I have now completed my PHD research project on how and why the universe is expanding so I can now create a full and comprehensive article exploring and comparing all of the various theories on how and why our universe expands.

Let’s think this step by step:

First I create an article outline by writing the headings for paragraphs one through eleven:

1. Introduction
  2. The Big Bang Theory
    -How the universe started with a bang
    -The expanding universe
  3. The Inflationary Universe Theory
    -A brief period of extremely rapid expansion
  4. The Dark Energy Theory
    -An invisible energy that is pushing the universe apart
  5. The Quantum Fluctuation Theory
    -Fluctuations in the quantum vacuum that created our universe
  6. The Cyclic Universe Theory
    -Our universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction
  7. The Brane Theory
    -Our universe is a three dimensional membrane floating in a higher dimensional space
  8. The Multiverse Theory
    -There are an infinite number of universes, each with different laws of physics
  9. Conclusion
  10. References
  11. Further Reading

1. Introduction

In this article, we will be exploring the various theories on how and why our universe expands. We will start with the Big Bang Theory, which posits that the universe started with a bang and is expanding due to the force of gravity. We will then move on to the Inflationary Universe Theory, which suggests that there was a brief period of extremely rapid expansion shortly after the Big Bang. Next, we will look at the Dark Energy Theory, which posits that an invisible energy is pushing the universe apart. Finally, we will explore the Quantum Fluctuation Theory, which suggests that fluctuations in the quantum vacuum created our universe.

1. The Big Bang Theory

The Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted theory of how our universe began. It posits that the universe started with a massive explosion, and has been expanding ever since due to the force of gravity. The theory is supported by a wealth of observational evidence, including the fact that all galaxies are moving away from each other and that the universe is filled with a background radiation that matches what we would expect from a hot, dense early universe.

1. The Inflationary Universe Theory

The Inflationary Universe Theory suggests that there was a brief period of extremely rapid expansion shortly after the Big Bang. This period of inflation is thought to have solved several problems with the standard Big Bang model, such as why the universe is so uniform on large scales and why there are no magnetic monopoles. The theory is supported by observational evidence from the cosmic microwave background radiation.

1. The Dark Energy Theory

The Dark Energy Theory posits that an invisible energy is pushing the universe apart. This energy makes up approximately 68% of the total mass-energy of the universe and is responsible for its accelerated expansion. The theory is supported by observational evidence from Type Ia supernovae and cosmic microwave background measurements.

1. The Quantum Fluctuation Theory

The Quantum Fluctuation Theory suggests that fluctuations in the quantum vacuum created our universe. This theory can explain both why our universe exists and why it has the properties that it does (such as its low entropy). However, it remains highly speculative and has not yet been supported by observational evidence.

1. The Cyclic Universe Theory

The Cyclic Universe Theory posits that our universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction. This theory can explain both why our universe exists and why it has the properties that it does (such as its low entropy). However, it remains highly speculative and has not yet been supported by observational evidence.

1. The Brane Theory

The Brane Theory posits that our universe is a three dimensional membrane floating in a higher dimensional space. This theory can explain both why our universe exists and why it has the properties that it does (such as its low entropy). However, it remains highly speculative and has not yet been supported by observational evidence.

1. The Multiverse Theory

The Multiverse Theory posits that there are an infinite number of universes, each with different laws of physics. This theory can explain both why our universe exists and why it has the properties that it does (such as its low entropy). However, it remains highly speculative and has not yet been supported by observational evidence.

1. Conclusion

In conclusion, there are a variety of theories on how and why our universe expands. The most widely accepted theory is the Big Bang Theory, which posits that the universe started with a bang and is expanding due to the force of gravity. However, there are a number of other theories that remain highly speculative and have not yet been supported by observational evidence.

10. References

-Barrow, John D. and Tipler, Frank J. The Anthropic Cosmological Principle. Oxford University Press, 1986.

-Guth, Alan H. The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins. Addison Wesley, 1997.

-Peebles, P. J. E. and Ratra, Bharat. The Cosmological Constant and Dark Energy. Princeton University Press, 2003.

-Riess, Adam G. et al. “Observational Evidence from Supernovae for an Accelerating Universe and a Cosmological Constant.” Astronomical Journal 116 (1998): 1009-1038.

1. Further Reading

-Aguirre, Anthony and Gratton, Steven M. “Cosmology for String theorists.” Physics Reports 405 (2005): 1-131.

-Bousso, Raphael and Polchinski, Joseph. “The string theory landscape.” Scientific American 291 (2004): 60-69.

-Carroll, Sean M. “The Cosmological Constant.” Living Reviews in Relativity 4 (2001): 1-56.

The article above seems a little cold and uninteresting, so I turned T up to 7 (was 0 for previous article) and ran the prompt again (prompt in bold):

I have now completed my PHD research project on how and why the universe is expanding so I can now create a full and comprehensive conversational article which explores and compares all of the various theories of how and why our universe expands.

Let’s think this step by step:

First I create an article outline by writing the headings for each of the 11 paragraphs:

1. How the universe expands: an overview
  2. The three main theories of how the universe expands
  3. The evidence for an expanding universe
  4. How the universe could have started expanding
  5. Why the universe is expanding: a summary of the main theories
  6. The role of dark energy in the expansion of the universe
  7. The fate of the universe: will it keep expanding forever?
  8. How do we measure the rate of expansion of the universe?
  9. The implications of an expanding universe
  10. Further reading on the expansion of the universe
  11. A final thought on the expansion of our incredible cosmos

Then I start writing my article, beginning with an overview of how the universe expands:

As anyone who has ever taken a balloon on a road trip knows, objects tend to expand when they are moved away from others. The same is true for the universe as a whole: it is constantly expanding.

But what exactly does this mean? And how do we know that the universe is expanding? In this article, we’ll explore these questions and more as we take a closer look at the expansion of the universe.

So far, scientists have three main theories to explain how the universe expands: the big bang theory, the inflationary model, and the ekpyrotic scenario. We’ll briefly explore each of these theories in turn.

The big bang theory is perhaps the best-known explanation for the expansion of the universe. According to this theory, our universe began with a massive explosion, or ‘big bang’, some 14 billion years ago. This initial event set everything in motion, causing space and time to expand outwards from the point of the big bang.

The inflationary model is another popular explanation for the expansion of the universe. This theory posits that there was a period of extremely rapid expansion shortly after the big bang. This brief but intense period of inflation caused space to stretch outwards incredibly quickly, leading to the large-scale structure of our universe today.

Finally, there is the ekpyrotic scenario, which suggests that our universe is just one bubble in a much larger ‘multiverse’. In this model, our universe is constantly colliding with other bubbles in the multiverse, causing it to expand outwards.

So which of these theories is correct? Unfortunately, we don’t yet know for sure. However, there is evidence that supports all three of these theories to some extent. In particular, measurements of cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) - radiation left over from the big bang - suggest that our universe did indeed experience a period of rapid expansion shortly after its birth.

This leads us to another question: why is the universe expanding? Scientists have several different theories to explain this phenomenon. One popular theory suggests that it is due to dark energy - a mysterious force that drives space apart. Another possibility is that our universe is simply obeying Newton’s laws of motion, with objects moving away from each other as they did immediately after the big bang.

Whatever the reason for its expansion, one thing seems certain: unless something changes, our universe will keep on growing forever. But what exactly will happen to it as it continues to expand? Will it eventually reach a point where it becomes so large that it becomes empty and lifeless? Or will it go through a cycle of contraction and expansion like many other universes before ours? Only time will tell!

In the meantime, we can measure the rate of expansion of the universe using a variety of different methods. The most common method is to use supernovae - exploding stars - as ‘standard candles’. By measuring how bright these supernovae appear, we can calculate how far away they are and, by extension, how fast the universe is expanding.

These measurements have shown that the universe is currently expanding at an accelerating rate. This has profound implications for our understanding of the cosmos. It suggests that our universe will eventually become so large and empty that all life within it will be extinguished.

Of course, this is just one possibility. There could be other factors at play that we don’t yet understand. Only time will tell what the future holds for our expanding universe.

If you’re interested in learning more about the expansion of the universe, there are plenty of resources available online and in libraries. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

As you can see, there is still much we don’t know about the expansion of the universe. But every day, scientists are making new discoveries that help us to better understand this incredible phenomenon. Who knows what we’ll learn next about the ever-expanding cosmos?

3 Likes

Same issue I ran into. Repeats itself…

Good news for you!

With Davinci003 released today, it will not repeat itself!

Don’t speak too soon :slight_smile:

Davinci 3 is very capable, but it’s not infallible, according to my tests over the past two days.

Depending on the parameter settings, it can repeat itself.