OpenAI Jukebox and music generation

Hello, I’m very interested in AI music generation, and I came across OpenAI’s Jukebox and its repository on GitHub. The latest files there were updated four years ago. Does anyone know what happened to this project? Has it continued to evolve in any form, or has the company abandoned it?

1 Like

The company has moved on from it to work on other things, you can still use the instructions on their Github page to access it. If you are interested in working on the project you can fill out a forum here. And you can contact the creators at jukebox@openai.com if you have any questions.

1 Like

En relación a Jukebox, es verdad que los últimos archivos del repositorio de GitHub se actualizaron hace 4 años (2019). Pero esto no significa que el proyecto haya sido abandonado de forma Completa. En OpenAI han continuado realizando tareas de prueba y análisis en tecnología de música internamente, pero no se hecho actualizaciones de publico conocimiento, acorde a mis averiguaciones del código de Jukebox, por esta razon parece abandonado… a mi criterio puede estar demorado, que lleve a la cancelación definitiva del proyecto, pero a los efectos por el momento no hay ningún aviso publico. Los motivos por las que no hay actualizaciones públicas, entiendo que es por la Complejidad del modelo, deberíamos preguntárselo a un Desarrollador o empleado que se encuentre trabajando en el mismo, Jukebox es de aprendizaje automático que presenta complejidad con millones de parámetros, muchas veces presenta inconvenientes de seguridad, que podrían generar virus, malwares o archivos maliciosos…

En el proyecto OpenAI está trabajando en ChatGPT y DALL-E, es posible que la Compañía presente mas atención en ellas, que en tu preferencia. En la Competencia económica se ha asociado con Empresas como SONY, de esta manera es difícil además que pueda ser publicada gratuitamente. En desarrollo

Por ultimo y sin mas preámbulos, hay lagunas en el asunto, si OpenAI ha dejado de trabajar en el proyecto al 100% . Puede estar trabajando en forma interna o haya decidido Centralizar su esfuerzo en ChatGPT y DALL-E (2024)

Espero puedas Valorar mi respuesta, la cual fue de mucho esfuerzo y recabando información, datos y detalles de diferentes fuentes y Sitios, espero sea de tu agrado :smile:

1 Like

English Translation of the post above:

Regarding the Jukebox project, it is indeed true that the latest files in the GitHub repository were updated four years ago (2019). However, this does not necessarily imply that the project has been completely forsaken. OpenAI has continued to conduct test and analysis tasks on music technology internally, yet there have been no updates made public, according to my investigation of the Jukebox code. For this reason, it may appear neglected. In my opinion, the project could be delayed, potentially leading to its ultimate cancellation, but as of now, there has been no public announcement to this effect. The reasons for the lack of public updates, I believe, are due to the complexity of the model. We should perhaps inquire with a developer or employee currently working on it. Jukebox is a machine learning endeavor that involves complexity with millions of parameters and often encounters security issues that could lead to viruses, malware, or malicious files.

OpenAI is currently focusing on projects like ChatGPT and DALL-E, which might mean that the company is allocating more attention to these than to Jukebox. In the competitive economic landscape, partnerships with companies such as SONY make it additionally challenging for the project to be released for free.

In conclusion, and without further ado, there are uncertainties regarding whether OpenAI has ceased working on the project entirely. It is possible that work is continuing internally or that the company has decided to centralize its efforts on ChatGPT and DALL-E (2024).

I hope you appreciate my response, which required considerable effort and involved gathering information, data, and details from various sources and sites. I trust it will be to your liking. :books::blush: